Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

TV Service in the Naples, FL Area?

Has anyone had any good experiences with any of the TV providers in the Naples area? I know that DirecTV and DISH are the same as elsewhere, but the client currently has DirecTV and is not happy with them. I am not sure that they will like the way that DISH goes to sleep. I know that Comcast is available in the area, but I have heard that their capabilities in the Naples area are not up to par.

Any information would be appreciated,
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I am not sure that they will like the way that DISH goes to sleep.
    I'm not up to date on current Dish Network receiver models, but are any of these current that if your client were to go with Dish he could disable the inactivity mode?

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/receiver/howto/inactivstandby.shtml
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    That looks like it would fix the inactivity screen, but it also looks like it cause potential problems with the EPG (I'm guessing Enhanced Programming Guide???) which could be worse. I seem to remember long delays when the guide needs to update and that would be just as bad. I do like the picture that DISH provides as, in my past comparisons, it seems to be the best quality HD picture among Comcast, DirecTV and Dish, but I have a couple of clients that had some trouble with the user interface. At the end of the day, it might be the only real option tho... Thanks for the link.

Jeff
  • Options
    The Dish receiver's reboot nightly around 3:00AM. Reboot takes about 10 minutes, but the receiver will turn back on on the inactivity screen.

The normal thing to get around this is sitting up an auto-tune to the customer's favorite channel around 4:00AM.

Of course, assuming we're dealing with AMX, just sending the cursor-select code around 4:00AM will suffice.

That said, they have discrete codes so you shouldn't have a problem making sure it's on.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It's been a while since I had to mess with one of these, but I always just "push" the select button in code when the device is chosen as a source. What I don't remember is what the receiver does if it's not asleep when you do that ... I seem to recall it going into a menu mode, so I sent an exit immediately following. The worse that can happen is a momentary picture change, but in my view that's better than the idle screen. As I recall, at least some boxes won't even accept a direct channel selection in that mode.

But as for the original question ... far as I know, you can't disable it.