Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Netlinx node surge protectors

Anyone using node surge protectors for Netlinx NXA-TSJ45 or NXA-MPS16F ( http://www.amx.com/techdocs/1002735.pdf )? If so what is feedback, I mean are they useful and really required?

Comments

• Options
    Reese JacobsReese Jacobs Posts: 347

I am using the NXA-MPS16F Ethernet/ICSNet surge protection device in several of my installations. I actually purchased the 16-port surge protector prior to AMX re-selling the product (it was and may still be manufactured by Transtector from Idaho). The surge protector provides you with a single Ethernet surge protector port and 15 ports for ICSNet devices.

In response to the heart of your question, I have implemented them in my home and on jobs where the customers took my recommendation. In my area, lightning strikes are commonplace (lost a Lutron installation over the weekend) so I am particularly sensitive to the issue. I had an old Landmark installation that got hit by lightning and the surge traveled down the PhastLink bus wiping out most all of the bus devices. At that time, there was not a surge protection option for Phastlink/ICSNet. Most of the commercial RJ45/network surge protection devices can not handle 12V power on the connectors whereas the NXA-MPS16F is designed with this in mind (i.e. put an APC RJ45 surge protector inline on a Phast or ICSNet device and watch it meltdown before your eyes).

Do they work? Sure, but since they are MOV based they can burn out if sufficient surges occur at which point the device needs to be replaced. It is cheaper to replace one NXA-MPS16F or one single point protection device than 12-15 ICSNet devices. Are they absolutely required? Of course not. What you are purchasing is protection and insurance but no 100% guarantee. Keep in mind that these devices address the data/power for ICSNet but are designed to complement a comprehensive surge protection strategy that should include complete power protection and data protection for other device types as well (RS232). We actually see more damaging surges come through phone lines or alarm panels than through electrical power. If you have a phone line connected to your system, consider protecting that also. If your alarm panel is connected via a serial port (or Ethernet) to your system, that also needs to be considered.

In summary, I use them and I recommend them as part of an overall strategy for surge protection that covers power, data, and phone. Covering one but not all of these categories leaves gaps. I think it boils down to a cost/benefits analysis based on the area and installation. Our customer that lost the Lutron system over the weekend (3rd strike for them in a year) wishes they had taken us up on our recommendation but they did not want to spend the money. They have already spent 25 times the cost of the surge protectors on equipment replacement but then we can't guarantee 100% that the surge protectors will always do the job. Anyway, some data points for you for what it is worth.

Reese
  • Options
    maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Thank you, Reese, for the answer - that is helpful and even more complete that I expected. I will at least recommend to install them at the points of "weakness" you mentioned. I never thought about danger coming from phone lines and alarm systems... Thanks again.
  • Options

Glad to help out.

In addition to the AMX surge protection devices, APC makes a variety of surge protection devices for power, RS232 data, and phone lines. They have a nice rack-mount chassis into which surge protector cards for different devices like Ethernet, RS232, and Phone (includes DSL, Frame, or regular single line) can be plugged to create a custom surge protection device that share a common ground. I have used this in a number of installations.

SurgeX and Panamax also make some excellent surge protection devices that address power, phone, and data in various configurations.

One other honorable mention goes to: www.bb-elec.com

This company makes a variety of specialty surge protectors including ones for RS232, RS422, and RS485. They even have surge devices that can be adapted for relay or contact closure devices. The devices made by this company are in fact recommended by Lutron for their inter-processor links and for MI links (RS422/RS485) to provide surge protection for those connections. Check them out sometime.

Lastly, one other common surge I neglected to mention that has taken out a few systems is relay control for sprinkler systems. I have seen systems where relays are connected to control sprinkler valves which in turn are located outside the house in the ground. On more than one occasion, these excellent lightning rods have conducted surges into the control system through relay connections. Controlling a sprinkler system panel is one thing - doing direct valve control is another.

Hope the information is useful --

Reese
  • Options
    NXA-TSJ45 or NXA-MPS16F

Hello All,

I worked with Transtector to design these products prior to AMX
    OEMing them. They are not MOV based. They use silicon avalanche diodes
    in a matrix configuration. Unless they are damaged from a surge they will be protecting your gear for years to come. They never degrade in performance like MOV based products. MOVs are really one shot devices since they degrade with each surge event. How much degradation is dependent on how hard they were hit, so you never really know what you have after installation.

Have a great day!
  • Options

My bad - good catch on the MOV vs. SASD. The AMX (Transtector) products are SASD as you noted. I should have said the APC and Panamax products are MOV based while I believe the SurgeX products use a technique called Series Mode protection (not MOV based). I use products from all of these companies since I don't care who wins the debate on MOV versus SASD/Series Mode protection so long as my equipment survives the lightning strike :).
  • Options
    ... I don't care who wins the debate on MOV versus SASD/Series Mode protection so long as my equipment survives the lightning strike :).

From personal experience I avoid MOVs - Had a lightning strike take out a UPC with the gear behind it while the Surgex and the gear it protects is still working fine. Both were in the same building, connected to the same breaker panel, no non-power connections, etc.
  • Options

Wilbert,

That's good information -- I am always in search of the best products for surge protection since we are in an area of the country where it can be brutal. On some of our early installations, we brought in a consultant to specifically work with us on recommendations for whole house surge protection. This particular consultant worked for BP for years developing surge protection systems for their off-shore platforms and refineries. He now focuses on primary surge protection for homes including grounding fields and subpanel protection but he taught us a few things we now use everyday:

- Always use electrical, cable, and phone service entry protection and ensure proper grounding (utility providers are not always adept at this)

- Utilize subpanel protection (available from EFI, Hubbell, APC, etc.)

- Utilize surge protected outlets (Leviton, Hubbell, ...)

- Utilize device specific surge protection equipment (surge strips, UPS, ...)

In other words, he taught us that surge protection was a multi-stage process and not to rely on any single surge protection device, no matter how good, to protect your devices. He also stressed surge protection for data/phone in addition to power. Since that time, we have used combinations of these devices to protect equipment.

I can't really address the MOV versus other surge protection approaches since I am not an electrical engineer. Our consultant said that even the best surge protection device can not protect you from a sufficiently large and direct strike but it should not keep you from trying. I too have seen MOVs blown out (these are commonly used in Lutron panels on the DIN rail for protection and I have seen them destroyed). Our consultant swore by EFI and Hubbell surge suppression devices and these use MOVs along with thermal fusing technology so there must be something to it.

That said, I use and like the SurgeX products and I also like the Panamax power conditioners and surge suppressors. I am curious if anyone has used Richard Gray power products or Furman conditioners or other brands of power conditioners/surge protection devices and if so how those devices perform.

Reese