Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

DirecTV Cinema Questions?

Since it's near impossible to get the same answer from two different directv employees, I thought I would see if anyone here is familiar with DirecTV Cinema: I have a client with one HR24 and 3 H24s. They are set up for whole home DVR service, and can view/record shows from any box. However, they cannot view DirecTV Cinema channels (1000, 1101, etc.) on the H24s, only the DVR. If a show is selected from the DVR to record/download, it is then accessible via the Recorded List on any box. Is this how this always works? I was hoping that with the new boxes and software that DirecTV Cinema (OnDemand) services would be available on all boxes. FYI, this home has a SWM Dish, MRV service added, DECA network inserter at the structured panel, and single lines run to each box, including the DVR. No ethernet, no phone lines. All boxes have been reset today, and also setup has been run again, with naming all boxes. Thanks in advance for any info!

Comments

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Note that the channels you ask about are "On Demand" channels that result in a DVR fetching and saving a program for watching later - even if only a few minutes later. As a result, it's reasonable that the SAT (non DVR) units were not designed to tune these channels - they don't really exist as channels, only as libraries for program download that the sat's can't do. Once a DVR has fetched a program and put it in the recorded library, it is no different from other recorded shows, and thus available to the SATs as clients to that repository.

So what you describe makes sense and is likely not to change in the life of the current hardware. Or new firmware might eventually improve it.
  • Options
    I'm with John on this. Being VOD channels, it doesn't make any sense for a non-DVR unit to be able to "tune" to them. Yes, once you get a recording (VOD or otherwise) on your DVR, you can get to it from non-DVRs through the whole-home system - but there isn't a means of getting to the VOD library from a non-DVR. Would be a nice feature, I suppose - browse the VOD offerings from a non-DVR unit, select a show and have it que up the download on the DVR - but I wouldn't expect to see that happening on DirecTV...

- Chip