Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Has anyone used Startech USB to Serial cable (ICUSB232) to control DIRECTV Receiver?

Has anyone used Startech USB to Serial cable (ICUSB232) to control DIRECTV Receiver? and How is it?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    I haven't used it for the DT RX, but it has worked fine with a couple of other devices. Make sure you download the newest driver from their site - the driver that comes with the unit isn't great.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    PyroGuy wrote: »
    I haven't used it for the DT RX, but it has worked fine with a couple of other devices. Make sure you download the newest driver from their site - the driver that comes with the unit isn't great.

Where would you plan to load that driver, into the DT box or into the NetLinx?
  • Options
    PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    My bad - I was thinking of the PC end (i.e. programming laptop for testing). All I know is that I had issues with it, as supplied. I don't know how the Netlinx would deal with it - that is something I haven't tried - sorry for the misunderstanding. All I know is that the unit, as delivered, needed some help (new driver)
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The doc from DirecTV that I saw specified what adapters would work ... but it's at least two years old. If you could put your hands on a current one, it should show what models are supported. My guess would be they only have internal drivers for a specific chip set, and any adapter based on those chips would work.
  • Options
    yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    I used to use iogear USB to Serial cable for directv receivers, but I have to order them and will take at least a week to get them this time, that is why I try to use startech instead of iogear, but I don't have the DTV receiver to test it. any other brand I can use for DTV receiver? Thanks.
  • Options
    yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    I just called the startech tech support, they told me this cable uses Prolific PL2303 Chipset, should it work?
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The DirecTV doc I have only says an adapter with a USB vendor ID of 0x067B or USB product ID of 0x2303. That includes the IOGear GUC232A, ATEN UC-232A and BAFO BF-810. Someone with a more current doc might be able to be more helpful.
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    The DirecTV doc I have only says an adapter with a USB vendor ID of 0x067B or USB product ID of 0x2303.

There are various utilities out there that will show you the VID/PID of USB devices attached to your computer. The first one that a google search turned up was http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html.

If you plug the adaptor in question into your computer and fire up that utility, you should be able to determine whether it's likely to work.