Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Re-assembling an R4

I have twice had incidents where the Zigbee daughter board in an R4 got loose somehow and needed to be re-seated (same customer, two different remotes, so I suspect he is somewhat heavy-handed and not admitting it). Disassembling an R4 to re-seat the board, though adventurous, is not completely horrible, but I have a problem putting them back together. No matter what I try, I can never quite get the hardware buttons (channel, volume, and cursor cluster) to work like they used to. They are mushy after reassembly. They function properly, but you don't get that nice tactile response, and it's difficult to tell you even pushed them at all. Anyone else run across this and have a trick to putting them back together you care to share? I'm dealing with it now by getting my customer a loaner while I send it back to repair the button mushiness, but for something like a board that just needs to be re-seated, I would vastly prefer to be able to field service it and be done.

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I've never had this issue but I can't imagine your one customer is the only one casuing the board to un-seat. Sounds like AMX should add a dollop of silcone to secure the board so this doesn't happen in the first place.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Not to make light of your situation but the post struck me as funny.

It just seemed like a funny subject to read with a whole interesting back story behind it.

something like:
    Subject: Hey AMX Forum people: which wire do I cut to deactivate the time bomb again??"
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    For those who remember, this is the same guy with the massage oil. He's definitely rough on those R4s.

All that aside, if you ever had one apart, you would realize how's it's possible. The entire thing is held together like a sandwich. You take the screws out of the case, and the two sides of the case hold all the boards together with nothing other than pressure and rubber pads. The connectors between the boards don't even so much as lock together, just pressure maintains the contacts. If it were a plastic case, it would never work at all, the flex would kill the connections.