Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

easy way to update processor clock from web

Hi

Can anyone please point me in the right direction for a simple way to update the processor clock via the internet / time server ?

I have very little experience in IP communications .. normally i would control a device RS232 / Ir
and this time i need 25 processors to be able to show the correct time without user intervention

thanks

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    two basic ways.

1) use the built-in clock manager. You can access it easy enough from the web page on the NI's IP address, port 80. It uses the standard NTP standard.

2) (and this is what I do) you can scrape a web page and/or RSS feed. Then feed this time/date into your master in code by the CLOCK command.

You could also do a third option and roll your own NTP module. I almost did this myself one time but its such a verbose conversation and I quickly got bored and frustrated with the process. The protocol is great for getting your clock set to a pretty accurate clock down to within a few milliseconds. But, it not at all helpful with Daylight Savings.
  • Options
    great stuff

I will look into using an RSS feed then ..

thanks
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    palopalo78 wrote: »
    great stuff

I will look into using an RSS feed then ..

thanks

Have a look at the built in clock manager. It's nice and straight forward to set up.
  • Options
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Have a look at the built in clock manager. It's nice and straight forward to set up.

But not accessible from code unfortunately. I could handle daylight savings much more easily if so. Otherwise I'm remoting into 50+ systems whenever the government decides to change DST dates.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    If you have a pre-duet master (NXC-ME) clock management can be done with something like i-TimeManager
  • Options
    If you have a pre-duet master (NXC-ME) clock management can be done with something like i-TimeManager

I have a master here at my office with time manager running on it. All our remote masters have a module running on them that checks in with this mothership and adjust from it. that way I only have to manage one AMX master's time settings. It works like a champ.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Every project I have done in NetLinx is running either i!-TimeManager or i!-Schedule (which is the same time manager plus scheduling features). I've never had any difficulty with it. I've not so much as even tried the built in time management.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I actually prefer the built-in clock manager; set it and forget it. Just a few clicks and you're done (or a couple of lines of code and you're done!)
  • Options
    Hi

thanks for all the comments .. im still struggling a bit

I have set up the code to run with clock manager and given it an IP address to look at .. this seems to work okay

However the code didnt seem to be able to turn on clock manager to NETWORK mode ( my poor programming skills )
    so I did this manually using the web interface .
    Im starting to wonder though , if ive been wasting my time because by the sounds of it the DST needs to be set manually too ?

I like the idea of having one system that you set and then the other rooms can take the TIME from this master

maybe thats the way I need to go

thanks