Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Integration with Security System

I am looking into replacing a security system that is installed. The current system is HAI and was installed by another company. We may take over the system or replace in the near futrue because the client is not happy with it.

What security systems does everyone perfer to integrate with. I was thinking of Honeywell Vista 128BP or 128 FBP for one property and maybe the 250 series for another site if the additional zones will be needed.

I was also looking at Digital Monitoring Products (DMP) XR100N or XR500N control panels. This systems gives me the ability to access control on the same platform and might be easier to due a complete integration with one system vs. 2 independent systems. Has anyone integrated with DMP? If so please provide me with some feedback on the integration compared to other systems.

http://buy.dmp.com/dmp/Shop?DSP=30100&PCR=1:100:10010:10085&IID=XR100N

http://buy.dmp.com/dmp/Shop?DSP=30100&PCR=1:100:10010:10056&IID=XR500N

Thanks to all!

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    My only gripe with the Vista (and it may even be fixed by now for all I know) is the protocol for sending an arm command is different and necessitates the control system having to store users and passwords. We, as a company, have decided that we don't want the liability of having to have two methods of arming/disarming the security system depending upon whether or not your standing in front of the security panel or the control system touch panel.

We use the GE. It works much like the old Destiny 6100.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    ericmedley wrote: »
    My only gripe with the Vista (and it may even be fixed by now for all I know) is the protocol for sending an arm command is different and necessitates the control system having to store users and passwords. We, as a company, have decided that we don't want the liability of having to have two methods of arming/disarming the security system depending upon whether or not your standing in front of the security panel or the control system touch panel.

We use the GE. It works much like the old Destiny 6100.

Ademco is similar (or was, last I used it, in any case). They consider the chip you install to allow communications secure enough ... and you don't need a passcode at all to arm or disarm through it, so you have to secure your interface yourself.
  • Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I have had good luck with DSC and the tried and true ITI100 interface.

The AMX panel can easily be made to exactly mirror the functionality of the DSC keypad and AMX does not have to store passwords or user names at all.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Elk M1 Gold is the one to use, period. Elk put much thought into its communication protocol and it's well documented. Not only does it play well in automation environments, its internal programming options are very robust.
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Elk M1 Gold is the one to use, period. Elk put much thought into its communication protocol and it's well documented. Not only does it play well in automation environments, it's internal programming options are very robust.

I second this. The Elk M1 was engineered with control system integration in mind. The Ademco Vista was engineered with dot matrix printer integration in mind. 'Nuff said. Granted the Vista is much better than it used to be, but the M1 is still the superior product, IMO.
  • Options
    Elk M1 Gold is the one to use, period. Elk put much thought into its communication protocol and it's well documented. Not only does it play well in automation environments, it's internal programming options are very robust.

+1. The Elk is a great product.
  • Options
    mpullin wrote: »
    The Ademco Vista was engineered with dot matrix printer integration in mind.

Ha Ha...Good one!
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Ha Ha...Good one!
    It would be funnier if it weren't true.
  • Options
    What is the largest ELK system you have installed. How does this compare to HAI in regards to integration?
  • Options
    The Elk M1 Gold will support 208 zones in eight partitions.
  • Options
    Relay control of Ademco Vista alarms...

You can control any Ademco Vista series alarm panel using 1 relay, 2 I/O's, and some resistors. The limitations are that this will only work on a single partition and you have to dedicate a zone to it.

You will need to have a zone configured for key switch control. Once this has been configured, you can arm and disarm the system using a relay connected to the designated zone. A pulse of less than 1/2 second will arm in Away mode, a pulse for 10 seconds will arm in Stay mode, and another short pulse will disarm the system.

The 2 I/O's are used for tracking the system status. Connect them to the 8-pin trigger connector. I/O 1 will be used for Ready status and I/O 2 will be used for Arm status.

I/O status indicators:
    1 (On), 2 (Off) = Disarmed & Ready
    1 (Off), 2 (Off) = Disarmed & Not Ready
    1 (Off), 2 (On Steady) = Armed Away
    1 (Off), 2 (Slow Flash) = Armed Stay

Manual can be found here: http://www.alarmeengros.com/installation15P.pdf
    Schematic is on page 2-9

I/O detail: http://www.canbroc.com/downloads/vista128_ig.pdf
    Chart is on page 3-16
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I wouldn't call that integration. Customers want to have visual zone status, bypass control, secure (password) operation, etc. all from the panel.
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »
    I wouldn't call that integration. Customers want to have visual zone status, bypass control, secure (password) operation, etc. all from the panel.

Touche! But if it's all you got... it's better than nothing. :)