Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Mio-R1 modes

The R1 transmits different IR channel codes depending on the mode the R1 is put in after one of the 6 custom mode option buttons (TV, Sat, DVD, etc) is pushed. So that means our code has to trap for 6 different volume up buttons, 6 volume down buttons, 6 play buttons, etc. etc…which makes things more complicated than they need to be.

Is there a way to configure the R1 to only send out mode 1 channel codes regardless of which mode button is pushed prior? All we need is one channel code for each button and we’ll know what to do with it depending on which source is currently on in that room.

The manual for the R1 says to use KeypadBuilder to properly program this device. The only thing I can see that you can do with KeypadBuilder is assign the text to be displayed when one of the custom mode buttons or macro buttons is pushed.

You can also put the R1 into configuration mode to set things like Timeout Adjustment and Sleep Brightness but nothing about the modes.

If there isn’t a way to configure the R1 to only send out 1 set of channel codes I’d like to request that option be added to a future firmware upgrade.

Thanks and Go Bears!

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    Nope. We asked about this (begged, actually) years ago when it was introduced. You'll need to watch for ALL 6 variants of every hard button if you don't want to "take advantage" of the very universal-remoteishness of this "feature" that shifts the IR code register of 40 active keys up and down depending which of the 6 "source" keys was last pressed.

At this stage of this product lifetime, such a firmware change (or option) as we would like is becoming a dim hope.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I figured that was the case. I was naïve in hoping an engineer put in a backdoor to change it.

Universal remotes that change banks of IR actually send out different manufacturer IR codes depending on the device to be controlled. The R1 just sends out different AMX IR codes which doesn’t buy us anything but more work. I imagine I’m preaching to the choir.

There hasn’t been a firmware upgrade in over 2 years so yes the request may be falling on deaf ears. It sure seems like it would be an easy enough firmware fix but what do I know.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    The R1 just sends out different AMX IR codes which doesn’t buy us anything but more work.

The idea was that PLAY for bank 1 could be assigned to play a DVD while the shifted play for bank 2 could "effortlessly" know to do a play for the DVR, etc. Saving us the code to vector a common command to the source actually in use. Exactly as some panel designers make a separate controls page with unique PLAY command channels for every source... making full sets of identical pages with different codes, each set linked to a specific source. Messy, but easy to understand for beginner programmers. Alas.