Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Audio/Video Receiver comparison (in integration)

Not sure if this is the correct forum section or not, but here it goes. I currently have a Denon AVR-4308. Unit is well integrated into my AMX system. I'm thinking of essentially "downgrading" to the Pioneer VSX-33, and wanted to get feedback on how well the pioneer AVR's (this one particularly) work with integration via modules. Most control aspects are pretty straight forward (ie source selection) but I want to verify that I can also get feedback for things such as volume levels, and radio station feedback when using that source. Can anyone speak from experience with this device?

Comments

• Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Not sure if this is the correct forum section or not, but here it goes. I currently have a Denon AVR-4308. Unit is well integrated into my AMX system. I'm thinking of essentially "downgrading" to the Pioneer VSX-33, and wanted to get feedback on how well the pioneer AVR's (this one particularly) work with integration via modules. Most control aspects are pretty straight forward (ie source selection) but I want to verify that I can also get feedback for things such as volume levels, and radio station feedback when using that source. Can anyone speak from experience with this device?

Do you mean if it's possible to do so, or if it's possible through the already available module for the device? If it's the later I would check out the documentation that comes with the module.
  • Options
    i already looked at the module, and it all seems possible. My question is, how well does it work. Are there any quirks, etc. I think we've all looked at modules and seen that it's all perfect, and then when we go to roll it out, we find something that's a hangup. Just looking to see if there's any of that with the Pioneer module.
  • Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    i already looked at the module, and it all seems possible. My question is, how well does it work. Are there any quirks, etc. I think we've all looked at modules and seen that it's all perfect, and then when we go to roll it out, we find something that's a hangup. Just looking to see if there's any of that with the Pioneer module.

Well that's generally device related and not module related, or at least that's what I see on a general basis. Mostly don't use the modules because they're too large/take up too much processor power and memory for what they're doing.

If it's possible with the device it's generally quite OK. At least with pioneer that's my general experience. Though they generally have a few quirks, the IP-control often works fine.

Had that with a bdp-lx53, the RS232 control was buggy to say the least, but the IP control was fine.

Hope this slightly helps.
  • Options
    Jorde_V wrote: »
    Well that's generally device related and not module related, or at least that's what I see on a general basis. Mostly don't use the modules because they're too large/take up too much processor power and memory for what they're doing.

If it's possible with the device it's generally quite OK. At least with pioneer that's my general experience. Though they generally have a few quirks, the IP-control often works fine.

Had that with a bdp-lx53, the RS232 control was buggy to say the least, but the IP control was fine.

Hope this slightly helps.

It does...thank you.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I just finished a system with a VSX33. Integration is very easy. All communication is ASCII. All front panel and remote change feedback is asyncronous.

One thing I didn't like at first was that all messages shown on the Pioneer's front panel display are echoed out the serial port for integration. When something scrolls across the screen, it generate quite a few messages. It would be best to limit that feedback to your panels that need it and ignore it for R4s. After dealing with its chattiness, it's a cool feature.

Only strange thing I found is that you can't save a radio tuner preset via serial control.

Not sure why you think Denon to Pioneer is a downgrade, but that's for another thread.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I am controlling with RS-232, not IP. I prefer RS-232 as it's immune to LAN changes and tinkering.
  • Options
    I just finished a system with a VSX33. Integration is very easy. All communication is ASCII. All front panel and remote change feedback is asyncronous.

One thing I didn't like at first was that all messages shown on the Pioneer's front panel display are echoed out the serial port for integration. When something scrolls across the screen, it generate quite a few messages. It would be best to limit that feedback to your panels that need it and ignore it for R4s. After dealing with its chattiness, it's a cool feature.

Only strange thing I found is that you can't save a radio tuner preset via serial control.

Not sure why you think Denon to Pioneer is a downgrade, but that's for another thread.
    That is odd about not being able to save a preset. Not too much of a problem, though as you can just save the presets at the unit and use the AMX to control them. The reason I indicated "downgrade" is due to the amp output capacity mostly. I've had and dealt with Pioneers previously and always thought well of them...as I do the Denons.