Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

PCMCIA to DB9(serial)

Does anyone use a PCMCIA to Serial for communication? I am in the transition of crossing between XP and WIN7 and getting a Dell Precision laptop which turns out, does not have a DB9 plug.
According to technote something from 2004, they recommend using PCMCIA cards instead of USB. I don´t want to use USB to Serial because of it´s "unreliablity" ( can´t afford a unstable serial connection ), and I have tried a couple of brands now, I got them all to crash and burn.

A post from 2004 also says that cards from Digi and Quatech are reliable. Does anyone second that? What are you using? Or should I be just getting this: Heavy Load and get really big arms in the process :) ?

Comments

• Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    There are a bunch of PCMCIA cards that work very well. This is the one I have:

http://www.qualitycables.com/productdetails1.cfm?sku=SS-232-2P9%20&cats=

It works flawlessly with every AMX box and the IRIS and also with every Cre$tron box and their IR capture box. It also has two RS232 ports, which is handy sometimes.

I have used a USB/RS232 adapter with ok results. It wouldn't work with either the IRIS or the Cre$tron IR capture box and wouldn't work when the PC was on battery power -- that, I assume, was a PC hardware problem.

I'd guess that most any PCMCIA card would work fine as there's probably not much difference in technology among them, I'd guess. But, be careful that you get an appropriate card for your computer. I think that PCMCIA is obsolescent; replaced by narrower cards. Express card, or something.

I just bought a Dell Latitude 5510 which is, I think, just about the only laptop that still has the DB9 rs232 port. It has W7 and so far I've not had any problems except getting IREdit to install. Had to use the XP virtual machine (which is not available with all versions of W7) to install IREdit. If the Precision model had an RS232 port, I'd probably have bought that though they are more expensive than the Latitude and since I use this computer for nothing other than AMX and Cre$tron, it probably wouldn't have been worth the extra.
  • Options
    dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    I've been using the Socket Communications compact-flash version with PCMCIA adapter for years with no problems.

http://www.quatech.com/catalog/socketserial.php

--D
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Your input has been very helpful.

Hedberg:
    I also looked at the Latitude 5510, but I decided on the Precision because of the Quad Core and the graphics card( I use CAD, vidCAD and other heavy programs ). The only downside was the DB9 port but there are solutions out there for that problem. The Precision also has the Express Card slot so that is not an issue.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    USB-serial

I also went through a bunch of USB?serial adapters. I have been successfully using a belkin adapter with 0 problems on all AMX units (NI and Axcent), so the options are still there. Part # is Belkin F5U109.
  • Options
    I also went through a bunch of USB?serial adapters. I have been successfully using a belkin adapter with 0 problems on all AMX units (NI and Axcent), so the options are still there. Part # is Belkin F5U109.

What brand of a computer are you using? XP, Vista or Win7? 64 bit?
    I am still not sure about USB. It´s ok for many things, but I need my serial port to be 100%.
  • Options
    annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    I've been using a high speed KeySpan USB adaptor with my MacBook Pro for the past few years, and it works with almost everything I've come across (mostly NetLinx and Optima, with some Axcent, Nexia and Symetrix as well). The only issue I've had is when I try to program a lighting system while running WinXP in Parallels. Booting natively into Bootcamp works without a hitch, so I'm guessing that the issue is more related to Parallels in how it re-routes the USB data stream from the host to the virtual machine.

Prior to the KeySpan adaptor I used a "Ruggedized" PCMCIA card by Socket (now Syncrotech) on a Toshiba laptop and it worked well. I'm not a fan of the tethered cable though - it can get knocked about a bit.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
  • Options
    annuello wrote: »
    I've been using a high speed KeySpan USB adaptor with my MacBook Pro for the past few years, and it works with almost everything I've come across (mostly NetLinx and Optima, with some Axcent, Nexia and Symetrix as well). The only issue I've had is when I try to program a lighting system while running WinXP in Parallels. Booting natively into Bootcamp works without a hitch, so I'm guessing that the issue is more related to Parallels in how it re-routes the USB data stream from the host to the virtual machine.

Prior to the KeySpan adaptor I used a "Ruggedized" PCMCIA card by Socket (now Syncrotech) on a Toshiba laptop and it worked well. I'm not a fan of the tethered cable though - it can get knocked about a bit.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University

Must be the Keyspan unit that Vantage Controls recommends :) I've used that one as well...but it seemed to only work reliably with the Vantage controllers.
  • Options
    Must be the Keyspan unit that Vantage Controls recommends :) I've used that one as well...but it seemed to only work reliably with the Vantage controllers.

As I said in my post, the KeySpan adaptor has worked fine for me. The issue I had was with Parallels, not the KeySpan adaptor. What OS environment were you using the KeySpan adaptor with when you had your troubles? OSX vs Win32, and was it native or VM?

As for Vantage Controls, I've never seen or used their equipment.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    I've said it many times before. Bluetooth serial ports work flawlessly and are damn sexy.
  • Options
    PhreaK wrote: »
    I've said it many times before. Bluetooth serial ports work flawlessly and are damn sexy.

Where is the "like" button? :) I think I bought my USB adaptor a few weeks before your first post - I really need to repair my time-travelling machine!