Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

MET-ECOM connection

Hi All,
if we would like to connect a MET-ECOM with an ethernet switch but the cable length exceeds the 300ft limit, what can we do to overcome that ? Would be an intermediate PoE switch a solution ?
Has anyone of you ever made such a same installation.
Any ideas will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Hi All,
    if we would like to connect a MET-ECOM with an ethernet switch but the cable length exceeds the 300ft limit, what can we do to overcome that ? Would be an intermediate PoE switch a solution ?
    Has anyone of you ever made such a same installation.
    Any ideas will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
    George

Yes a switch in the middle would do the trick.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    You could just use a standard switch for the purposes of extended the distance and install a POE injector between that switch and the MET-ECOM. Unless you multiple devices requiring POE a single injector would be alot cheaper.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I don't know how robust the MET-ECOM is, not having used one, but be sure to use a good quality switch if you do this. I have had instances where communications would stop, and I had to reboot the intermediate switch to get them back ... and this with a PC connection, which are usually pretty good at this kind of thing. I'm quite sure it was because the client (who provided the equipment) got consumer grade Linksys switches.