Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

What happens when a master runs out of disk?

I realized after I left a site that I left a non-elegant logger running that is going to fill up the drive sooner rather than later.

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    It will eventually generate errors (result -11) when the disk is full, so I'd *ASSUME* your system will keep running while generating this error.

To be honest, I was logging quite a bit before and only came up with a 3MB file of text. How big is the card? A 64MB (depending on the size of your master's CF) text file is quite large . . . surely you'll be back before it gets that big. I really wouldn't worry about it until you get back - but that's just me.

Worst case scenario: your master blows up and destroys your rack and any other surrounding equipment. :D
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    travis wrote: »
    I realized after I left a site that I left a non-elegant logger running that is going to fill up the drive sooner rather than later.
    How does your log work? Do you just keep appending to a single log file or do you create a daily log based on the date?

I would create daily log files and then create an array to log the file names created based on the date. Then just delete the files older than x amount of days.

DHawthorne posted a logger that may still be found somewhere on the forum that I've been using for years. If you can find it you might want to give it a try. If you can't maybe shoot Dave a PM and he'd probably be happy to send it to you when he gets a spare minute or two.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Oh, I know the answer from experience. When I was developing my own logger, I had to deal with this issue. The master just stops running, period. Nothing happens anymore. If you are watching at the time, you might see a run-time error, but once it's out of space, the whole thing comes crashing down. Now it's entirely possible a subsequent firmware update won't let it go so far, but that is what I have seen.