Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Upgrading to TPI/4 or TPI/Pro

I have a client who has a TPI/3 (legacy gear) from his PHAST days. As you can imagine the upgrade to Netlinx 2 years ago has the TPI/3 running out of button. The original installer never ran CAT5 to this location and pulling one who require extensive openings in ceilings and walls.

The unit is powered locally and there is a cable for composite video which I need for his Cameras and TV Preview. I was wondering if anyone has had success or knows if I ran Ethernet over Powerline (Netgear) to get Ethernet to the TPI/4 or TPI/Pro id it will work.

In theory it seems like it would work. Absent that I'd have to go with a WAP1000 and a wireless bridge.

Suggestions, thoughts, concerns, experiences welcome

Thank You in advance

David Groves ACE
DG Sales and Service.

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    davegrov wrote: »
    I have a client who has a TPI/3 (legacy gear) from his PHAST days. As you can imagine the upgrade to Netlinx 2 years ago has the TPI/3 running out of button. The original installer never ran CAT5 to this location and pulling one who require extensive openings in ceilings and walls.

The unit is powered locally and there is a cable for composite video which I need for his Cameras and TV Preview. I was wondering if anyone has had success or knows if I ran Ethernet over Powerline (Netgear) to get Ethernet to the TPI/4 or TPI/Pro id it will work.

In theory it seems like it would work. Absent that I'd have to go with a WAP1000 and a wireless bridge.

Suggestions, thoughts, concerns, experiences welcome

Thank You in advance

David Groves ACE
    DG Sales and Service.
    Using a WAP in bridge mode seems a reasonable method. I use this method on ocassion to connect out buildings using exterior directional antennae and it works just fine. I haven't used the power line stuff yet but there was some discussion about them a few years back that might be worth a forum search.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    We've actually had pretty good success with the ethernet-over-power-line stuff. Bear in mind it's not fast or smooth. I've heard of folks trying to put media servers/players in odd places using this method with no success. However, for simple control it seems to work fine. All bets off if you plan on doing any dynamic images such as cameras, etc...
  • Options
    davegrovdavegrov Posts: 114
    Cameras

The cameras on this project are all Composite Video with a wire in place. As much as I like IP Cameras I'd likely specify good old composite video cameras for this project.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Like Eric, I've used the powerline solution without any major issues. Once in a while, the boxes need a reset, but that's the worst of it. I wouldn't use them to stream media, but for button presses they work fine.
  • Options
    Netgear Ethernet over Powerline

Installed the latest Netgear Ethernet over Powerline and it works well. Latest version claims faster speeds. Now I need to figure out the audio on the TPI/4.
  • Options
    Installed the latest Netgear Ethernet over Powerline and it works well. Latest version claims faster speeds. Now I need to figure out the audio on the TPI/4.

All's well that ends well.

As I said, the speed issue will turn around and bite you if you push it too hard. Just be happy with connection to the master.
  • Options
    So Far so Good

Eric,

I agree that I don't want the panel to do any IP Video, only Button Pushes, Holds and Releases to control the system plus some feedback. When I first did my research I only saw the NetGear 200 series, but when I went to Fry's they showed me the newer model that claims higher speeds and suitable for gaming. So far so good.

My contingency plan is to change to a wireless gaming adapter as suggested previously or a wireless bridge. PHAST conversions always present challenges but make the job fun.

Thanks to you and all of the other contributors for your help.

Dave
  • Options
    Eric,

I agree that I don't want the panel to do any IP Video, only Button Pushes, Holds and Releases to control the system plus some feedback. When I first did my research I only saw the NetGear 200 series, but when I went to Fry's they showed me the newer model that claims higher speeds and suitable for gaming. So far so good.

My contingency plan is to change to a wireless gaming adapter as suggested previously or a wireless bridge. PHAST conversions always present challenges but make the job fun.

Thanks to you and all of the other contributors for your help.

Dave

Boy O Boy,
    I'd try to avoid the wireless bridge at all costs. They are inherently slow and flaky. Traffic has to flow 4 times over a wireless bridge for every one on a copper wire.. With a Wireless G bridge, the very best data rate you can hope for is around 10 meg. And that's with only one connection on the bridge to one connection on the WAP it's connected to, (Itself) Add any other connections on the WAP, bridge or both and it goes downhill fast.