Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

VPN/VNC boxes for remote sites?

Hi all,
I was just wondering what people use to connect to remote sites?
We want to be able to send a box to site that has wireless Internet, VPN and VNC.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Craig

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    We're pretty big fans of the Cisco WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router - VPN v2.0. It's not too expensive and has a ton of high-end features in a single small box.

It's Gigabit, has N/G/B wireless, VPN, a fairly robust switch (for example you can setup VLANs) and supports SNMP.

The one downside is that while it does fit in a rack space, the antenna array on the back is a bit unwieldy. You almost have to devote a whole rack tray to it because the antenna array sticks out a a funny 45 degree angle.

This is our go-to model when the client just doesn't want an enterprise level system for whatever reason.
  • Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    ericmedley wrote: »
    We're pretty big fans of the Cisco WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router - VPN v2.0. It's not too expensive and has a ton of high-end features in a single small box.

It's Gigabit, has N/G/B wireless, VPN, a fairly robust switch (for example you can setup VLANs) and supports SNMP.

The one downside is that while it does fit in a rack space, the antenna array on the back is a bit unwieldy. You almost have to devote a whole rack tray to it because the antenna array sticks out a a funny 45 degree angle.

This is our go-to model when the client just doesn't want an enterprise level system for whatever reason.

You have your wireless router in a rack? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage much?

To answer the OPs question though.

We use the WRVS4400N as well for small installations. And a SA520/540 in larger installations (with level 3 switches (/w POE) and aironet 1142s for the wireless coverage).

Those come with VPN, but for the larger installations we generally place a rackmounted-PC with teamviewer on it with the necessary software to do some quick changes. Where we want to avoid having to transfer xxMB over VPN directly to the system. Which also helps a lot if the client has a dynamic ip.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm in the process of moving all new projects to Pakedge. It's a commercial grade solution, and probably not for everyone, but as a company, we've just about had it with patchwork networking and problems with cobbled together consumer grade systems or customer DIY stuff. My only gripe so far is you have to use their VPN client if you don't want to be disconnected every 5 minutes, but I can live with that. Their managed switch has built in subnet handling for network isolation and packet priority, so it's perfect for big control jobs, and now that everyone wants an iOS device for control, that's more of an issue than ever.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Jorde_V wrote: »
    You have your wireless router in a rack? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage much?

We mount it above the rack on a single rack shelf or out the front with the antenna array sticking out. We don't like to leave them sitting loose as that's how the seem to get unplugged. Truthfully though, we tend to not use the built-in WAP at all but mount one in the house/condo.

I have seen them mounted on the inside of a structured wire can before, however. That always amazes me.
  • Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    We mount it above the rack on a single rack shelf or out the front with the antenna array sticking out. We don't like to leave them sitting loose as that's how the seem to get unplugged. Truthfully though, we tend to not use the built-in WAP at all but mount one in the house/condo.

ah that's ok then, was assuming things. You Americans have the luxury of wooden walls and little concrete right? Over here it's generally that a WAP doesn't go (much) further than the room it's placed in because of thick concrete walls. So anything that potentially blocks radio signals is something to take into account. And that starts with where you place the device.
    I have seen them mounted on the inside of a structured wire can before, however. That always amazes me.

People often don't realize the consequences, mostly it doesn't even cross their mind.