Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

RELIABLE USB to Serial Adapter Preference?

I recently reformatted my laptop and reinstalled all AMX programs (NetlixStudio, IREdit, etc.) and now my serial port adapter does not work with IREdit. It is an IOGear peice and has worked for over a year with my IRIS, until my reformat and installation of the latest version of IREdit. IREdit recognizes that the port is open, but I get an error when I try to capture.

"Error getting comm ports. Received the following error message
Unknown error occurred"

I have set the comm settings to:
com2
n
n

I can see in my Device Mangler that the adapter is indeed set to be com2. I can tell the adapter to be any port I want and IREdit recognizes that it is there when I go to the "settings" Radio button or the "Capture" tab under "Tools> Comm Settings". The adapter DOES WORK with the NI300 and I can control all devices through it. The only problem-child is IREdit.
The IRIS DOES WORK with my other Desktop computers via the com1 ports.

Can anyone recommend a RELIABLE adapter?

Any thoughts would really help make the boss happier. :)

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Hi Kevin,

Check out this tech note for USB to serial adapters that AMX has tested:

USB to Serial Adapters

Cheers,
    Joe
  • Options
    KevinKKevinK Posts: 29
    Hey Joe,

Thanks a ton! I should have thought of checking the tech notes (duh). I notice that the peice I've been using is pretty high on the list of good adapters for use with win xp, maybe I just need to bring a couple of different adapters out to the feild with me.
    Thanks again,

KevinK
  • Options
    syslocksyslock Posts: 45
    Hi Kevin

I went through the exact same problem and found that i was setting the wrong com settings in IREdit the first tabs com setting were for uploading to a master etc and on tab two there i found the com port selection setting i changed this to the com port that device manager asigned to my USB adapter, and that helpful error message disapeared.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    syslock

Yeah, I thought that may be the problem after the first couple of tries, but it still does not work even after setting it correctly on the "capture" tab.
    Thanks anyway,
    KevinK
  • Options
    Hey Kevin,

Let us know how the story ends. I?m due for a new laptop and I will need an adaptor myself, so my interest in your findings is for purely selfish reasons. :D

Joe
  • Options
    Joe,

I'm all for selfish self-advancement :p
    I'm expecting to receive my new adapter by 10:30 this morning (Wednesday). It's a PCMCIA to (2) Male DB-9 made by Quatech. From what I've been able to discern, they are one of the most reliable manufacturers of serial communication components. (I can only hope so!!) The part number is DSP-100 and I found it at Port Place for $149 plus shipping. They also offer 1-port and 4-port versions in both RS-232 or RS-422/485. I chose the 2-port so I can connect to the IRIS @ 9600 and my master @ 38.4 at the same time. (Woohoo, multitasking!!)

During my search I also found an RS-232 Tester that looked pretty cool for about $40. It is at B&B Electronics . It tests the TD, RD, RTS,CTS,DSR,DTR, and CD pins for activity high or low on both sides. Does anyone know of any other tester that works well?

KevinK
  • Options
    Joe,

The Quatech peice works like a dream. It passes the Micrisoft Driver Signing and EVERYTHING! (Did I make too big a deal about that? ;) ) Anyway, The IRIS took right to it, no questions asked. So far, I would have to say that I recommeend it if you can't get a machine with a serial port built in. (which is what AMX recommends.:rolleyes: )

Mahalo,
    KevinK
  • Options
    Kevin,

Thanks for your feedback and the link. The web site lists the Quatech two port on sale in July for $89 and the single port for $49 so I'll be ordering mine soon.

Thanks again.

Joe
  • Options
    If only I had more patience...
    Or is it the boss? :D
    Glad I could help Joe.

KevinK
  • Options
    For what it's worth: The only reliable RS232 expansion systems I've found are those from Digi. They're expensive as all heck, but work beautifully. The ones I've used were PCI based; they may make a PCMCIA/Cardbus version for laptops. Certainly this is more to carry around with you than a USB dongle, but I've never once had a problem with their PCI stuff.

Edit: Digi Edgeport USB to serial: http://www.digi.com/products/usb/edgeport.jsp

PCI systems: http://www.digi.com/products/multiportserialcards/

I don't see a pcmcia/cardbus version; you could call and ask. Note that I haven't used their USB to serial stuff, but if it's even half as good as the PCI stuff you will never go back to cheap adapters again.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Use Keyspan KP-19 USB<->Serial converter since one year with success and got none issue ! The only little inconvenient is you can't use it at 115200 you have to go no higher than 38400 but it's ok to setup ip in masters and then go through Network.

Used on a Powerbook G4 with Virtual PC and it works perfectly :)

Hope it helps

Vinc
  • Options
    Unlike traditional dedicated 232 ports, the adaptor ports require you to set the baud rate info in your device manager settings for the com port. This speed must match the connection speed of the device and your software utility. For most, that would be NS/Putty/hyper terminal. Failing to set the value in windows will have you spinning your wheels for a while.

It appears that dedicated 232 ports will be flexible and allow just the physical device and software settings take charge, but the adaptors add in the windows complexity to it that you may not be expecting. This cost me some time today and I hope this experience saves you if you encounter it.

Chris
  • Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    CT-Dallas wrote: »
    Unlike traditional dedicated 232 ports, the adaptor ports require you to set the baud rate info in your device manager settings for the com port. This speed must match the connection speed of the device and your software utility. For most, that would be NS/Putty/hyper terminal. Failing to set the value in windows will have you spinning your wheels for a while.

It appears that dedicated 232 ports will be flexible and allow just the physical device and software settings take charge, but the adaptors add in the windows complexity to it that you may not be expecting. This cost me some time today and I hope this experience saves you if you encounter it.

Chris

You do realize you just posted that in a 6 year old thread, right?
  • Options
    Nerieru wrote: »
    You do realize you just posted that in a 6 year old thread, right?
    LOL, so did you :)

--John
  • Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    LOL, so did you :)

--John

Pots & kettles, eh? Nonetheless it was about the bumping.

But since it's here anyway, what is your experience with x64 windows 7 with USB-Serial especially in combination with AMX. (Mine has been horrible, but the same goes for x86 windows xp with USB-Serial or even actual com-ports.)
  • Options
    Yes I do realize it is old. When I searched for answers, I didn't find one to my problem, but I found this post - just like someone else in the same position may do. By posting an answer here, we may help someone in the future who also elects to search old posts rather than start a new one only to have someone direct them to a previous thread.
  • Options
    travtrav Posts: 188
    Thread_Necromancy.jpg
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    As link to tech note about serial/usb certified by AMX no more works, still someone found an USB/serial adapter that works fine with IR Edit ? Since years I have same problem of random crashes in IR Edit each time I capture some IR. It happens randomly either at the first capture or after few ones !

I reinstalled already multiple time the windows, IR Edit, etc but it changes nothing ! It's the only program that has an issue with USB/Serial adapter, I use Keyspan one so it's supposed to be good quality and good Windows drivers !

So for now, I keep on my computer a copy of Panja Studio that included management of IR and works fine with the USB/Serial adapter but it's a little crazy :(

Thanks for your feedback,

Vincèn