Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Help with PhastLink

Hello,

Hardware: CF-10 with MCU, PLB-AS8
Software: Landmark designer 4.0 build 59 running on Win XP service pack 3.

I've connected an AS-8 switcher only to a CF-10 cardframe with a straight thru cat5e cable and put a terminator on the remaining phastlink connection on the AS-8. I can communicate with the mcu from the computer without a problem. However, I can't seem to communicate with the AS-8 over the phastlink. I have a simple project with one room setup in the software with a generic audio input and generic audio output in the room. The Equipment tab shows the CF-10 cardframe and shows it is communicating with the computer. The equipment tab also shows a AS-8 with the generic audio input assigned to it. However, when I try to communicate with it, by for instance setting the volume, nothing happens and when I leave that tab the settings don't hold. Unless I'm missing something in the software, which is possible since I'm new to landmark designer, I'm leaning torward the phastlink not working. I get no green or red led link lighting on the AS-8 other then when I initially power it up. The MCU/card frame data led flashes green every few seconds when the AS-8 is connected, so it seems the MCU knows something is there. Is there a way to prove that the phastlink is indeed working on both the cardframe and the AS-8? This could help me determine if the problem is with the phastlink or resides somewhere between the monitor and keyboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

dwayneS

Comments

• Options
    banobano Posts: 173
    Dwaynes wrote: »
    Hello,

Hardware: CF-10 with MCU, PLB-AS8
    Software: Landmark designer 4.0 build 59 running on Win XP service pack 3.

I've connected an AS-8 switcher only to a CF-10 cardframe with a straight thru cat5e cable and put a terminator on the remaining phastlink connection on the AS-8. I can communicate with the mcu from the computer without a problem. However, I can't seem to communicate with the AS-8 over the phastlink. I have a simple project with one room setup in the software with a generic audio input and generic audio output in the room. The Equipment tab shows the CF-10 cardframe and shows it is communicating with the computer. The equipment tab also shows a AS-8 with the generic audio input assigned to it. However, when I try to communicate with it, by for instance setting the volume, nothing happens and when I leave that tab the settings don't hold. Unless I'm missing something in the software, which is possible since I'm new to landmark designer, I'm leaning torward the phastlink not working. I get no green or red led link lighting on the AS-8 other then when I initially power it up. The MCU/card frame data led flashes green every few seconds when the AS-8 is connected, so it seems the MCU knows something is there. Is there a way to prove that the phastlink is indeed working on both the cardframe and the AS-8? This could help me determine if the problem is with the phastlink or resides somewhere between the monitor and keyboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

dwayneS

You need to make sure that the software and hardware objects are attached. In the Landmark software, under "NetworK" click on the "Assignment" tab and highlight the unattached software and hardware objects and follow the prompts for attaching. Good Luck!
  • Options
    DwaynesDwaynes Posts: 7
    Hi bano,

Thanks so much for the help. I should have been more complete in my previous post. I did try to attach the phast audio switcher that shows up in the unattached software objects box under the Network/Assignment tabs. When I select it and hit the identify button I get a dialog box saying there are no devices in this system of the selected type. Also, the unattached hardware box is empty. Does that sound correct? Under the Design/Equipment device tab pull down I can see the Equipment room card cage MCU in slot 1 with flashing led's showing that it's communicating with the computer. Also under the device tab pull down I can see the Equipment room Phast 8x8 switcher with "Computer" in slot 1 and "Generic Audio Zone" in slot 2 I can adust the sliders but the settings won't hold. So to summarize the steps I've used:

New project
    first floor
    Add simple room
    Add generic audio input to room
    Add generic audio zone to room
    Spec hardware
    Try to attach unattached Equipment room phast 8x8 switcher listed in the unattached software objects box but get dialog with no devices in this system of selected type. Unattached hardware box is empty.

Have I missed a step? Done a step incorrectly? If not, is the phastlink suspect? If the phastlink is suspect is there a way to determine if its the phast link on the card frame or the audio switcher thats suspect?

Again, thanks for the help.

dwayneS
  • Options
    banobano Posts: 173
    Hi bano,

Thanks so much for the help. I should have been more complete in my previous post. I did try to attach the phast audio switcher that shows up in the unattached software objects box under the Network/Assignment tabs. When I select it and hit the identify button I get a dialog box saying there are no devices in this system of the selected type. Also, the unattached hardware box is empty. Does that sound correct? Under the Design/Equipment device tab pull down I can see the Equipment room card cage MCU in slot 1 with flashing led's showing that it's communicating with the computer. Also under the device tab pull down I can see the Equipment room Phast 8x8 switcher with "Computer" in slot 1 and "Generic Audio Zone" in slot 2 I can adust the sliders but the settings won't hold. So to summarize the steps I've used:

New project
    first floor
    Add simple room
    Add generic audio input to room
    Add generic audio zone to room
    Spec hardware
    Try to attach unattached Equipment room phast 8x8 switcher listed in the unattached software objects box but get dialog with no devices in this system of selected type. Unattached hardware box is empty.

Have I missed a step? Done a step incorrectly? If not, is the phastlink suspect? If the phastlink is suspect is there a way to determine if its the phast link on the card frame or the audio switcher thats suspect?

Again, thanks for the help.

dwayneS

It seems that your switcher is not connecting to the phastlink bus, or it would show up in the unattached hardware box.
  • Options
    Thanks bano,

So the phastlink is indeed suspect. The problem now for me is to determine if it's the phastlink on the cardframe or the phastlink on the switcher. Any ideas? I have two as-8 switchers that both behave the same way, which points to the cardframe be faulty, however that is not concrete proof since it would not be out of the question to have both switchers with faulty phastlink buses. I guess I could try and find a keypad to connect to the cardframe and see if it gets recognized.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I've had a few AS8s and AS16s in my day on Netlinx systems. All but one eventually failed and it was the phastlink port on the switcher every time. I was really sad about it too. I really liked the switcher. it was quick, easy, sounded great and did all you could ask.

It was sad that a little comm port on the unit had to bring it all the way down. I even futzed with one to see if I could bypass the phastlink part but to no avail.

My money's on the switcher being the bad part.

If you have a Netlinx master with ICSNet on it, you can hook up the switcher and it should show up on line if it's okay. That'll help you.
  • Options
    Jeff LockyearJeff Lockyear Posts: 147
    +1 for a bad PHASTLink port. We see AS8/16s coming in because of this issue all the time. Seems to be a 10 year problem...and IMO it's worth repairing.

Also +1 for using a Netlinx system to test. We also see CF-10s come in with PHASTLink and power supply issues.
  • Options
    Thank You

I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread for their help. It is greatly appreciated. I got a hold of another CF-10 with a working Phastlink, although I had to replace the power supply, and now the system works as designed. Right now I have a CF-10, AS-8, and AMP-8 all working. The next step will be to add some keypads and go from there. However, I do have one pretty big hurdle to overcome. I'll need to control some source equipment, Apple TV, HTPC, XM receiver as music sources for the Phast. My limited understanding tells me I need to do this through IR since none of the sources have RS-232 ports. In reading threads I've come to the conclusion that I need an AMX Iris and the IRedit software. However, I have read some posts implying that I can import Ir codes with the pronto edit software whic I do have. So my question is can I inport IR command with a pronto and pronto edit? Do I still need IRedit to import the commands? The reason I ask is because the IRIS is very expensive.

Thanks in advance,

DwayneS
  • Options
    IRIS

Hi Dwaynes,
    I'm sorry I don't know anything about pronto edit. I can tell you that I bought an IRIS on ebay about five years ago for almost $600 and that I never regretted it. Since then I have added a new TV, replacement DVD, new DVR, new cable boxes, etc, to my system. Being able to buy new components, and new components that might be cheaper than those with IR files or IR input ports (which are trick to get to work), and program them into my system is very useful. The only problem now is that I am running out of memory on my viewpoints as I add new components.

You might want to check if AMX has IR files for your components, or find someone with an IRIS that you trust, who could capture your codes for you. The latter would require mailing them your remotes and a copy of your landmark project, along with a list of every code you want captured (For instance, you'll need PLAY, STOP, etc, but do you want RETURN, LAST, SETUP, all those extra commands that might be rarely used?). I suppose I could create an IRIS rental business, but NO, I am not letting it out of my sight.
  • Options
    shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    So my question is can I inport IR command with a pronto and pronto edit? Do I still need IRedit to import the commands? The reason I ask is because the IRIS is very expensive.

Thanks in advance,

DwayneS

Should be able to do it with this:

http://www.homeautomation.geoff-reynolds.net/

and this:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/dl.cgi?file=utilities/vert.zip&area=pronto

First one converts CCF files or pronto hex codes to ******** files. Second will convert ******** to AMX files.

If you can fine a copy of IR PRO, it will do the same in one package.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    You will need an IRIS learner. If I recall correctly, Landmark can't import AMX library IR files straight. You will need to learn all the codes from the original remotes into Landmark. Contrary to Netlinx that keeps the AMX IR files in the contollers IR ports, Landmark uses a Microsoft Access database to hold all the IR files learned, the Landmark IR card ports are just conduits to send the IR code, they don't hold the IR files. It has been a while, maybe someone here has a secret on how to import AMX IR codes into Landmark/Access, but again I am not aware of any method other than learning from scratch via an IRIS learner.
  • Options
    shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    Yup, it has been a while. Had to boot Landmark up just to check my self. You can learn in AMX mode, but cannot read an AMX IR file.

I've got a spare IRIS is anyone is interested.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    IR import into Lankmark

Again thanks to everyone for the help. Indeed it's a bummer that there seems to be no way to import IR codes into Landmark w/o the IRIS. Regarding Ricardo's response that he believed the codes could be stored in a database after import, this of course brings up the question: Is it possible to acess the database and store "converted" pronto codes in it, which could then be sent out the IR ports?

DwayneS
  • Options
    Resurrecting this thread since I need help again

Backround:

Everything is the same as before except I've added a couple of DMS keypads running firmware version 3.16. Everything seems to work and I can manually control the switcher and amp through the software interface. I can program the keypad to unmute the amp and set a volume level from a keypad button press. The thing I can't seem to do is figure out a way to change the source on the switcher with a keypad button press. As devices, I have the amp, switcher, and mcu. On the floor plan I have a generic audio input, a generic audio output, and a keypad. It seems that this funtion should be available. When I try to edit the keypad program there's no command to change anything on the switcher, other than save all sources and volumes or change to previous saved sources or volumes. Am I missing something? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dwayne
  • Options
    You'll need to add a speaker pair to the room, not a generic audio output. For some reason you can get a generic out added to the switcher when you hit SPEC, but you can't control it. Once you add a speaker pair, that device will be available in the list to switch source/volume. You'll want to set volume through the speaker pair (switcher output), not the amp channels.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    I am struggling with adding a new reciever to an old landmark system. I have read the previous post and im hoping someone can help. I need the IR codes for the reciever and get them into landmark. The first is clearly an IRIS. The second is that I was told you could edit the .mdb file for manufacturers and get them in. Has anyone got any ideas other than buying an IRIS?
  • Options
    I haven't imported any IR into the .mdb before. I have looked at the .mdb using Microsoft Access, but if I recall, I couldn't import HEX codes like Pronto codes into it. Your only options might be the IRIS.
  • Options
    appreciate the quick response. I have looked online for a used iris without any luck. I really hate having to buy one at cost from AMX for this one project. If you have one laying around I would be interested.
  • Options
    Any luck finding an Iris

Hi aasound,

Have you had any luck finding an Iris? I'm still looking for one myself. It seems someone could make a few bucks renting one out to folks like us. Another option maybe is for a couple of folks to chip in for one and share it as needed.

Dwayne