Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

DXLink

More new shiny things!

The info currently on the AMX site about this is extremely light on. Can any shed some light. Is this an incarnation of HDBaseT or is it a proprietary distribution system?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    PhreaK wrote: »
    More new shiny things!

The info currently on the AMX site about this is extremely light on. Can any shed some light. Is this an incarnation of HDBaseT or is it a proprietary distribution system?
    Maybe it's like Just Add Power's solution where you send HDMI over a dedicated IP network that routes using almost any good managed switch via VLAN assignments and IGMP Snooping(?). You can cascade an infinite amount of networks switches to create any size matrix.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    I can't find ANY reference to DXLINK... where?
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    I don't think it's IP based, just twisted pair. It sounds awefully similar to HDBaseT from the features though:

From the AMX product page
    The DXLink Transmitter sends HDMI/HDCP, control, Ethernet and power up to 100 meters over a single standard twisted pair cable.

and from the HDBaseT spec
    HDBaseT can connect all the entertainment devices in a setting through its 5Play™ feature set, converging uncompressed full HD digital video, audio, 100BaseT Ethernet, power over cable and various control signals through a single 100m/328ft CAT5e/6 cable with RJ45 connectors.
    John Nagy wrote: »
    I can't find ANY reference to DXLINK... where?

http://www.amx.com/products/categoryNewProducts.asp
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    Got it. I did look at those and it didn't register, and the search function doesn't have them yet.

Twisted pair, 300 feet, full HD, with control. Wonder if it would care to run over leftover coax?

EXPENSIVE. You need a transmitter and receiver, sold separately, each around the price I'd have thought for the pair...
  • It work togather with the new DVX-3150 too and there is ICSnet option so i reckon it will work with the new ICSnet options.
    John Nagy wrote: »
    EXPENSIVE. You need a transmitter and receiver, sold separately, each around the price I'd have thought for the pair...
    Not if it's HDBaseT. One of the core ideas behind that spec is that it's something manufacturers integrate into their consumer products so that you have a device with an RJ-45 plug - no converter box's.
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Not if it's HDBaseT. One of the core ideas behind that spec is that it's something manufacturers integrate into their consumer products so that you have a device with an RJ-45 plug - no converter box's.
    Are any devices actually outfitted with an HDBaseT jack yet or is this still on the drawing table? I read some devices were supposed to roll the 2nd half of this year (starting about now) but is that still on track?
    From what I'm seeing/reading the HDBaseT booth has some products on display there.
  • DXlink Transmitter and receiver

I have setup a standalone system with DXlink transmitter and receiver from out of the box, i get to pass the RS232 signal but the HDMI video were also shows a green image. Is there any configuration to be made, DIP switch were set to all off. any suggestion,
  • champchamp Posts: 261
    I'd suggest updating the firmware.
    The first release firmware output a green image when connected to an unknown device and you had to set dip switch 4 on when connecting to a DVX-3150. Subsequent firmware releases have overcome this though.
    BTW - you should really start a new thread rather than raising the dead. This thread was dead for 20 months before your post.
  • champ wrote: »
    I'd suggest updating the firmware.
    The first release firmware output a green image when connected to an unknown device and you had to set dip switch 4 on when connecting to a DVX-3150. Subsequent firmware releases have overcome this though.
    BTW - you should really start a new thread rather than raising the dead. This thread was dead for 20 months before your post.

thanks,,, firmware is updated. but dip switch 4 to on has never tried yet... I am using DVX-2155 and also have problem on hdmi output 1, it does not pass bluray signal but on dxlink output 3 it passes,, any thoughts on this,,,
    thanks again..
    Hey there edgelitoc, give you're local AMX tech support line a call. They're an awesome bunch and will help you get up and running if you are new to the DVX and DXLink gear.
  • Hello!
    Does anybody know is it possible to turn DXLINK's power ON and OFF using SEND_COMMANDs?
    I only find how to reset DXLINK: SEND_COMMAND DXLINK01,"'REBOOT'". The power comes via POE from Enova DGX-16, maybe it is possible to switch somehow the output voltage in Enova?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Hello!
    Does anybody know is it possible to turn DXLINK's power ON and OFF using SEND_COMMANDs?
    I only find how to reset DXLINK: SEND_COMMAND DXLINK01,"'REBOOT'". The power comes via POE from Enova DGX-16, maybe it is possible to switch somehow the output voltage in Enova?

I don't think so. What I do is put all my outboard boxes (Panels, EXB and DXLink) on a separate POE switch, then put that into a Furman power center with network control. Then I can use that to power cycle them. Anything that needs to power cycle separately gets it's own POE and outlet.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I don't think so. What I do is put all my outboard boxes (Panels, EXB and DXLink) on a separate POE switch, then put that into a Furman power center with network control. Then I can use that to power cycle them. Anything that needs to power cycle separately gets it's own POE and outlet.

Take a look at this Dave:
    http://store.blackwiredesigns.com/12-Port-Gigabit-High-Power-POE-Injector-_p_218.html

Each PoE port can be power cycled individually so you don't drop the whole network just because one device falls offline.
    I'd post a price for you, but someone at the office must have used the "I Forgot My Password" thing and now I can't login... sales people... enough said.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    the8thst wrote: »
    Take a look at this Dave:
    http://store.blackwiredesigns.com/12-Port-Gigabit-High-Power-POE-Injector-_p_218.html

Each PoE port can be power cycled individually so you don't drop the whole network just because one device falls offline.
    I'd post a price for you, but someone at the office must have used the "I Forgot My Password" thing and now I can't login... sales people... enough said.

I think Pakedge just introduced something similar, and that is our network gear of choice these days. I'll have to shoot that over to sales in the event it will work better for us. In this trade, there is no such thing as having too many tools.
    I think most managed switches that supply POE high power or standard power have the ability to cycle individual ports either via CLI or a web interface, most do both.

Here's another product you might fancy, an 8 port midspan rack mount injector but not a switch, in & out and controllable for $295.00. It also has autoping to automaticlly cycle power if a connected device doesn't respond. Their power strips have the same capability and what I've been using for years and again is only $295.00 for 2 circuit rack mounted power distribution, 16 outlets, (8 individually controlled pairs).

http://www.digital-loggers.com/poe48.html
  • Don't connect DXLink port to an Ethernet switch

DXLink transmitters and receivers should not be connected to Ethernet switches (PoE or otherwise) via the DXLink port. DXLink does pass Ethernet data and PoE over the standard pairs but in addition also utilises the additional pairs which are unused in an Ethernet environment.

DXLink transmitters and receivers will powers up if the DXLink port is connected to a PoE switch however, if the DXLink port on a device is connected to anything other than a DXLink port on another DXLink device (e.g., DVX, DGX, TX<->RX) the unit will automatically fall back to Ethernet only mode. While Ethernet will pass through the device in this case there will not be audio or video.

You should only connect the DXLink port on a DXLink TX/RX unit to the DXLink port on another DXLink device (e.g., DVX, DGX, TX<->RX).

You can use specific PoE injectors in-line to power the DXLink device but you should only use PoE injectors recommended by AMX (engineering has seen that damage can occur if using non-supported PoE injectors resulting in a dead DXLink device).

Supported PoE injectors include the PS-POE-AT-TC and the recently released PDXL-2.

The PDXL-2 is a duel power over DXLink controller which allows you to power 2 x DXLink devices from a central location (ideal for TX-RX point-to-point applications where locally powering the units is not possible) and in addition accepts IO control from a NetLinx master allowing you to shut the power off to each DXLink device if required.

Hope this helps.