Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Tip for Windows Media Player and other mp3 software

Use the ratings feature to make listening to your music library on shuffle a better experience. Do not rate your music 1-5 stars based on how much you like it.

Instead consider using my ratings method:

5 stars - public shuffle - I always want this song included when I play my library in shuffle mode. This list should not include any potentially offensive material. This gives you a shuffle list that is ready for most occasions even if your boss or your grandmother might be listening.

4 stars - private shuffle - This includes all the rest of the songs that you like. These may not necessarily be for everyone else to hear or may be potentially offensive. Your favorite Death Yodeling or Gangsta J-pop for instance. So when listening alone, you will probably want to listen to a shuffled list of all your 4 and 5 star songs. This would probably be the list to sync to your iPod.

3 stars - library shuffle - These are the songs you will only occasionally want to hear. Typically this will be for your least favorite songs on the album. Songs you want to keep but don't want to listen to very often. These might also include things like low quality concert recordings and interviews.

2 stars - do not shuffle - This category is for songs you probably do not ever want to hear. But you still want to keep it in your library for some reason. For instance, you might have a few songs that you keep because someone else likes them. Or you might want to classify a particular genre that doesn't fit with the rest of your shuffle.

1 star - delete me - Use this to indicate songs you intend to delete or replace. This may sound pointless at first, but I use this to remind myself that I need to replace a copy of a particular song because I played it and discovered the file was corrupted or had terrible sound quality. If I just delete the song, I will probably not remember to replace it.

Or use a totally different set of criteria. But this should give you the idea of what you can do.

Now that you've rated your music, you might wonder:

How do I get Windows Media Player to play this list? I'm not feeling ambitious enough to upload screenshots to illustrate. But open Windows Media Player to the default "Play" mode. In current versions (I'm using 12), on the left under "Library", right-click on "Music" and select "Custom Navigation Pane...". In this sub-window, under "Music", select "Rating" and "OK". Now in the "Library" under "Music" select "Rating". You will see icons for "4 stars" etc. Right click, Play. Or drag to add to the playlist on the right. You're welcome.