Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

DVX-2100 switcher bottleneck?

Gday all,

I'm writing a module to deal with configuring DVX-2100-HD, and I'm finding that it is easy to saturate the DVX switcher if you are doing a lot of configuring. In my case, I'm reading in a file which is used to set up the four multi-format inputs (Label, Signal format, AutoResRef), followed by the two outputs (OSD, Aspect, manualResRef).

I've queued/throttled the commands to the DVX in a timeline at 300mSec, but it is still hit-n-miss as to whether all commands are executed correctly on the DVX. It doesn't matter if I've just booted up, or if it has been running for a while and has settled into normal operation (several minutes).

The most noticeable "slow" command is when setting the input format (VIDIN_FORMAT-<val>). Padding the transmission of the command with 3 seconds before & after the VIDIN_FORMAT-<val> seems to address the issue. In either case, the DVX does not consistently reply with 'VIDIN_FORMAT <val>', so I can't rely on a reply from the switcher to proceed to the next parameter for configuration. The VIDOUT_RES_REF has a similar issue when swamped at the 300mSec rate, so I've added 3 sec padding to that as well.

Obviously, I'd like to configure the DVX reliably in the shortest time possible. Can someone confirm whether the DVX bottleneck is per-device or per-port. (If it is per-port I will consider a timeline/queue for each port.) I expect that I'll have to bulk-configure audio settings over the next year or so. Will that require the same bottleneck considerations?

Roger McLean
Swinburne University

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Well,
    I suppose you should at least find out at what slow speed the device does get to a point of reliable setup. I could easily see 300ms still being to fast for some kinds of gear, particularly a video switcher or whatever.

If you can get it to at least be reliable, then you can provide feedback to the user via the UI to let them know that things are working. A progress bar can smooth over impatience.