Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

USB - RS232 device

So I am trying to use a new USB to RS232 device on my laptop and im not sure which port it is or if the port is even coming up on Netlinks when I try to connect to my master. I only have 4 USB ports on my laptop but when I go to Netlinks and try to connect I select Serial connection and only port 3 4 5 7 show up. Does anyone have an suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    alanhalanh Posts: 30
    If you go to control panel on your pc and select system then device manager and then comm ports you should see the comm port the usb to serial adaptor is connected to and then you can select this within the master communications of Netlinx studio, sometimes usb to serial adaptors are a bit flaky and don't always work (try a search on this site to find out more info as it has been discussed many times previously)
  • Options
    davidvdavidv Posts: 90
    I did and verified the comm port is 7 which I use to connect. My dip switches are set for 38k baud and it still doesnt connect for some reason. I even tried a null modem but nothing. I am now trying to connect IP and it wont connect that way either. I just want to load some code into the master and set a static IP. Cant figure out why it wont connect. Dip switch 678 are up the rest are down.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Are you using Win7?
    if so, try using "Windows XP mode " from Windows 7. Works for me!
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    If you don't know whether anything is coming out of the converter at all:
    Plug the SERIAL end of your converter into any SERIAL IO port on the NetLinx (MOVE it from the PROGRAM PORT to an IO), then attempt to send keystrokes out your terminal program... you will see the yellow light on the FRONT of the NetLinx corresponding to that serial port if any data is arriving... regardless of baud. It won't do anything but indicate that bits are arriving there, but you want to verify that, at least, before you go on.