Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

New Iridium license

This is very very cool. Iridium have released a new licensing model - one price, unlimited number of iPad devices linked to a single master serial number.

Brilliant idea! And best of all it's priced at a point where it be crazy not to include it in a system. It's called Ultimate.

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    This is very very cool. Iridium have released a new licensing model - one price, unlimited number of iPad devices linked to a single master serial number.

Brilliant idea! And best of all it's priced at a point where it be crazy not to include it in a system. It's called Ultimate.
    Yeah but you need a system with over 15 iPads to net a savings. Even with PC and iPones added in that's still a lot for most jobs but when you get to the 20k+ sq ft houses it would make sense.
  • jimmywjimmyw Posts: 112
    Well, we just had a client about 2 months ago buy licenses for 28 iPads, and he heard about this, not a super happy camper lol.
  • VasiliyVasiliy Posts: 13
    I've a site with 11 iPads, 5 iPhones and 3 Windows touchs - my client wants iridium Ultimate. especially because he would probably wish to add some more ipads later on.

Where can I get some tutorial or manual on how to PROPERLY use/setup that license???
    jimmyw wrote: »
    Well, we just had a client about 2 months ago buy licenses for 28 iPads, and he heard about this, not a super happy camper lol.

I would call them and ask for some consideration.
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    According to the release email I got, the other advantage to this license is that it can be transferred to a replacement master controller should one die. And since it covers all of their control range, many different types of control panels can be used. Multiple PCs. If an iPad/iPod gets lost or stolen, it isn't locked to that device only and won't cost another bunch of money for an additional license.
    ryanww wrote: »
    According to the release email I got, the other advantage to this license is that it can be transferred to a replacement master controller should one die. And since it covers all of their control range, many different types of control panels can be used. Multiple PCs. If an iPad/iPod gets lost or stolen, it isn't locked to that device only and won't cost another bunch of money for an additional license.

It also eliminates the future UDID issues since the license is tied to the master but should a master crap out then in the aforementioned system you would need to update each of the 28 devices running iRidium. Since a master crapping out isn't that common I wouldn't be too concerned.

Still for the price of one AMX TP you can give a client unlimited possibilities. I guess it is a no brainer especially if it's equal to the TPC solution which doesn't even offer any PC control capabilities.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Any clue how it will work in systems with multiple masters?
  • MknMkn Posts: 11
    Hi GUys,
    Vasiliy,
    iRIdium Mobile has link on the there website to detail instruction how to setup and use their software. If you have a problem to find this link, that PM me and I will provide with direct link to this manual.

the8thst,
    It is very good questions and right now (it is my opinion) in systems with multiple masters we only can use device licences. It it will be very expensive to use master license for each controller. The way how it works is if you don't have licence for the master, the panel (iOS/Win) will only receive messages and commands from the controller. NO button pushes from the panel.
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    We're testing multiple masters now, and it depends how you code between masters.
    As long as all TP devices are declared in the licensed master and the sub masters are being used for port expansion then everything works fine.

If the code is deployed across masters then it is more complex, I will let you know how this pans out.
  • VasiliyVasiliy Posts: 13
    Mkn wrote: »
    Hi GUys,
    Vasiliy,
    iRIdium Mobile has link on the there website to detail instruction how to setup and use their software. If you have a problem to find this link, that PM me and I will provide with direct link to this manual.

Thanks Mkn. I've found pretty good/informative manuals on iridium wiki for amx. especially Video lesson is very useful...
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    Hmm.. Just about to do a job with 50 iPods.
    Iridium may be the winner!
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    mush wrote: »

50 panels sounds like quite a bit to have all of the code residing on 1 master (unless you have 1 master dedicated to solely manage the panels).
  • Iridium with M2M

OK we've done some testing with the Ultimate license and multiple masters and it works perfectly providing all client devices are defined relative to the Master with the Ultimate License.

Once declared, the TP code can be deployed on any Master within the system, just as with normal M2M setups.

I'm happy!
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    mush wrote: »

Ended up going with Command Fusion.
    Working well with 50 iPods running at once.