Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Debug info thoughts

Almost all of my client's controllers (99.99%) are running their Netlinx programs with the Debug info ON. I will not lie on this... i am getting bored to change the Setting from the NXStudio Preferences.
I would prefer a Project-wise setting like most Programming IDE's offer.

Apart from my laziness i am wondering if a Release version of a Netlinx program, would be in any way better in ways of Speed/Stability from the Debug version.

What you guys do?

Kostas

P.S. Couldn't find a similar thread. If one already exist i will dismiss mine.

Comments

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    We have debug included in nearly all projects. It results in more detailed information in TELNET (line numbers for error messages, etc.) which often helps track down data errors when something isn't right.
    We leave it OFF on some big jobs or on 700's or 2000/3000 when running out of memory is an issue, it gets us back a meg or more.

We've never yet detected a speed or stability difference, so when there's room, we leave it on. I'll be interested in any other experiences on this too.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I don't believe I have ever turned it off. I had only one project that ran out of memory to the point that it wouldn't run, but that was resolved by re-allocating a bunch of non-volatile variable in modules that had a lot of instances running. So I don't think it's really an issue for the most part. Like John implies, if it's not causing you a problem, don't worry about it ... but I have to add, it takes an awful lot for it to become a problem.