Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

NetLinx Studio 3.3

A new version of NetLinx studio is out... Lots of good items...

Including Email Integration...

•Added SMTP email support so you can send emails directly from NetLinx or Java: SMTP_SERVER_CONFIG_SET()
◦SMTP_SERVER_CONFIG_GET()
◦SMTP_SEND()

Comments

• Options
    Ha! just as I wrote my own SMTP module!
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Hold on there!

Keep in mind you'll need to be running master firmware 4.x in order for the new programming features to work (i.e. math, SMTP, logging, etc.) It appears version 4 firmware is not out yet except for the DVX-2100HD.

Great features, just not fully available.
  • Options
    AMXJeff wrote: »
    A new version of NetLinx studio is out... Lots of good items...

Including Email Integration...

•Added SMTP email support so you can send emails directly from NetLinx or Java: SMTP_SERVER_CONFIG_SET()
    ◦SMTP_SERVER_CONFIG_GET()
    ◦SMTP_SEND()

[size=+2][highlight]*Batteries not included[/highlight][/size]
  • Options
    Hurray! downloading...
  • Options
    What about controllers with firmware less than 3.xx.xx ? Do the new compiled programs (with the new library functions) work or we need to adapt our programs using conditional defines?

I am not able to test the new features as i am away from office and on vacation.

There is, i thing, a new compiler version too.

Kostas
  • Options
    papadouk wrote: »
    What about controllers with firmware less than 3.xx.xx ? Do the new compiled programs (with the new library functions) work or we need to adapt our programs using conditional defines?

I am not able to test the new features as i am away from office and on vacation.

There is, i thing, a new compiler version too.

Kostas

That is a good question, and the reason that I am going to hold off up upgrading at least until firmware 4.x is available for downloading.
  • Options
    Last time I tested, these features will not work on v3 firmware.

Version 4 firmware has too large of a footprint to be loaded on anything less than an NI-x100.
  • Options
    Will conditional programming do the work?

It just hit me: even with conditional defines the compiler will also include the placeholders for the new functions. I am not sure if this is going to work. If someone can do a test, that would be great.
  • Options
    If it's not being used in the program - it's not called and the master doesn't care.

This is no different than when other new functions have been added to netlinx.axi in years past.

Point is - your program should run just fine with the the new compiler on pre-4 firmware. And even if you did throw in the new SMTP or math commands in pre-4, your system should still run fine - it just won't execute what you intended because the older firmware doesn't know of these new commands.

It would be stupid for AMX to have a compiler that is not backwards compatible especially if NI-x000 devices are still out there and cannot take version 4 firmware. That would mean you'd have to have two compilers, thus two instances of NetLinx Studio, and you're not able to do that.

And just to verify - last night I compiled a program for a pre-4 master with NS 3.3, and it's running fine as expected.
  • Options
    Is this an appropriate place to whine about 3.3 as well? The tabs in the workspace window are too wide, so now you need to scroll left and right to go between the workspace view and the IR viewer. Between that and the glitch in the new TPD4 that doesn't allow you to use quick input text on multiple lines, I'll unnecessarily waste loads of time scrolling and changing between tabs. Now I'm faced with choosing between a lack of features or a lack of convenience.

[/rant]

Edit: on the other hand, I like the firmware loading from the online tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    jjames wrote: »
    If it's not being used in the program - it's not called and the master doesn't care.
    ..i think you are right. I wouldn't know though if the interpreter had any issues :)

And just to verify - last night I compiled a program for a pre-4 master with NS 3.3, and it's running fine as expected.
    Thank you for your time and for making a test. Did you noticed any errors or messages in the console with the MSG ON ALL command? Probably not i think...

...NI-x000 devices are still out there and cannot take version 4 firmware.
    Really? I had the impression that the new 4 firmware will be more LIGHTWEIGHT that the previous ones. In this newsletter: http://www.amx.com/newsletter/201006/ni.htm it says that the "Updated Operating System – Decreases boot time and system memory usage" so i believed it would be lighter... silly me?

Is this an appropriate place to whine about 3.3 as well? The tabs in the workspace window are too wide, so now you need to scroll left and right to go between the workspace view and the IR viewer. Between that and the glitch in the new TPD4 that doesn't allow you to use quick input text on multiple lines, I'll unnecessarily waste loads of time scrolling and changing between tabs.
    I also noticed that on the new 3.3 studio. And at the begging i blamed my self, having the impression that i missed some setting in the preferences, but nope!
    About TPD4, there is a separate thread for whining but since you said about the quick input text, i'm with you. Having a way to do multiline input by pressing CTRL+ENTER while you typing and add a new line, without opening the multiline editor would be a nice feature. And a multiple copy/cut/paste of PAGES and POPUP pages also.

Kostas
  • Options
    papadouk wrote: »
    I also noticed that on the new 3.3 studio. And at the begging i blamed my self, having the impression that i missed some setting in the preferences, but nope!
    About TPD4, there is a separate thread for whining but since you said about the quick input text, i'm with you. Having a way to do multiline input by pressing CTRL+ENTER while you typing and add a new line, without opening the multiline editor would be a nice feature. And a multiple copy/cut/paste of PAGES and POPUP pages also.

Kostas

Yeah, I made sure to check preferences before complaining.

The quick input thing in TPD4 worked until the most recent release. Now, it's broken. I've reported it to tech support and am (im)patiently waiting for a fix.

• Options
    jimmywjimmyw Posts: 112
    ALSO! I am unsure if it is going to be in the release version of the new firmware, but there IS a new firmware with a new IP stack available, ( I was using ~ 190 ip connections and it kept dropping devices offline) and now it works like a charm!
  • Options
    Yeah, I made sure to check preferences before complaining.

The quick input thing in TPD4 worked until the most recent release. Now, it's broken. I've reported it to tech support and am (im)patiently waiting for a fix.

You had 190 concurrent live IP connections? You had 190 defined IP local port clients defined?

Just interested in large scale projects like this and best way to approach it.
  • Options
    jimmywjimmyw Posts: 112
    I had 190 concurrent live ip connections! Of those, 112 were B&B ESP914 (4 port ethernet to serial) 12 were DirecTV, 4 were TiVO series 3 units, and the rest were everything else under the sun, washer dryer oven and microwave, we had to subnet the automation devices, we had over 400 static ips
  • Options
    Is it just me?

I can no longer get port status by right clicking on a specific port in an online tree.

Anyone else seeing this problem?
  • Options
    Well, the bugs keep adding up . . . man - I thought this was going to be a good release instead you should avoid this if you can (since version 4 firmware isn't out yet, I don't see an urgency in upgrading.)

Anyway, getting cut with the bleeding edge some more:
    * If you compile a duet program and go to transfer, it does not tick "reboot" automatically. This one threw me for a loop, I couldn't figure out why my changes were not taking effect.

* If you use the debugger and are watching a string variable in ASCII, then switch it to HEX, it will only show the first HEX value of the string. Even worse, when you go to switch back to ASCII, it's only the first letter of the variable.

Both unacceptable bugs in my opinion.
  • Options
    Heads up to all: if you decide to downgrade from 3.3, be aware you may lose all of your IP address information. All my addresses are in there, just no client names.

Major fail and an extreme inconvenience. Am I the only one to have been bitten by this?

• Options
    I did the upgrade then immediately downgraded again and didn't encounter this.

By the way, how long does AMX typically take to fix the bugs found so far?
  • Options
    regallion wrote: »
    By the way, how long does AMX typically take to fix the bugs found so far?
    Too, too long.

On the flip side - it's "freeware", and as probably many of us know - "freeware" usually does not get top priority.

I'd like to see a completely new IDE . . . and in fact am thinking about *trying* to tackle one as part of my many side "hack" projects - particularly a multi-platform one. Anyone interested, have ideas as to where to start?
  • Options
    Would be very short sighted if they considered it as "Freeware" when it's the main tool to actually implement their products!

Without it the controllers are just paper weights (and not aesthetically pleasing ones at that!).
  • Options
    regallion wrote: »
    Would be very short sighted if they considered it as "Freeware" when it's the main tool to actually implement their products!

Without it the controllers are just paper weights (and not aesthetically pleasing ones at that!).
    I didn't think anyone would take the "freeware" mention so literally, but it is free as compared to paid such as Cafe Duet.

This is a good read - although it's quite difficult to show gratitude when something was working and then not. Oh well . . . I've gotten the drift over the years NS is not on their priority list, though I feel the same way as you: it's an essential tool.
  • Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Too, too long.

On the flip side - it's "freeware", and as probably many of us know - "freeware" usually does not get top priority.

I'd like to see a completely new IDE . . . and in fact am thinking about *trying* to tackle one as part of my many side "hack" projects - particularly a multi-platform one. Anyone interested, have ideas as to where to start?

I think there were some discussions about writing a language pack for NetBeans or similar editors a while ago, but I don't think much progress was made.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    the8thst wrote: »
    I think there were some discussions about writing a language pack for NetBeans or similar editors a while ago, but I don't think much progress was made.

It was regarding one for eclipse. It's still on my todo list when I get some downtime. The goal is to get a single dev environment for NetLinx and Duet guff.
  • Options
    Online Tree Device Mappings won't refresh without quit-relaunch

I'm running Netlinx Studio 3.3.1.525 on Windows 7. I just discovered that the Device Mappings in the Online Tree will not actually refresh until the application is quit and re-launched.

I had two completely different programs, with different device definitions and such, and could load either one on my controller. When I refreshed the Online Tree and updated Device Mappings, it does not remove any previous device mappings. In one program, for an NI-3101, I don't even have 5001:7:0 defined, but when I load that program, it will still show me the device the other program defines at port 5001:7:0. It won't go away until I quit an re-launch Studio. I was able to consistently reproduce this problem any time I changed a device definition and uploaded the changes, they would never show in the Device Mappings until I quit/relaunched.

This must be a known bug, but I can't find it as reported in the forums (not that the search capabilities here are particularly good).

Can anyone confirm this is known, and is being addressed?
  • Options
    jimmyw wrote: »
    I had 190 concurrent live ip connections!

I've got a system that is holding about 100 IP connections simultaneously. It's talking to 20 MOXA NPort-4 units configured with each serial on it's own IP port, plus a handful of other IP connections for logging and such.

ZERO problems.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Tree address updates have always been funky. Readdress the 5001 device, it takes, but continues to show 5001. Same for the SYSTEM, changes don't appear until after an exit and restart. Other addresses do, like panels, etc. It's been that way for at least 10 years. That's not a defense, nor assurance that today's behavior isn't different in degree. Just not news.
  • Options
    NetLinx Studio Build 3.3.1.600 Available

In case you haven't seen, TechNote 999 includes NetLinx Studio Build 3.3.1.600. It was released as a hotfix for the "Failed to receive memory response" error seen in 3.3.1.525 while uploading code to an Axcess master.

This was discussed previously on the forums.

EDIT:
    I can no longer get port status by right clicking on a specific port in an online tree.

Anyone else seeing this problem?
    I did in fact have this issue. And the really frustrating part was that I had only *just* learned about this option when 525 hit. However, I can confirm that bug has been fixed in 600.
    * If you use the debugger and are watching a string variable in ASCII, then switch it to HEX, it will only show the first HEX value of the string. Even worse, when you go to switch back to ASCII, it's only the first letter of the variable.
    I have partly seen this (only the first or part of the ASCII characters displaying) but only when the string contains a NULL character. I can't recall the HEX values also only showing up in part, but it would make sense if that happened if NetLinx "lost" the rest of the string when it got to the 0 and had no way of displaying it.