Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

MVP-8400 cannot enter setup

When I press left (last) and right bottom button I hear a beep, but the panel doesnt go into setup mode.

I went into the setup 4 or 5 times during the night, then it just refuse to go into it, when I release both button, the display goes blank, I removed and put back the battery, but no lock

Comments

• Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Telnet into the TP and then type in:
    setup

That will get you into the setup page.
    When you're there verify that that *front button setup access* is enabled.
    You might have disabled it by mistake.
  • Options
    MVP-8400 cannot enter setup
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    Telnet into the TP and then type in:
    setup

That will get you into the setup page.
    When you're there verify that that *front button setup access* is enabled.
    You might have disabled it by mistake.

I cannot communicate with the TP .
    that is why I went so many time itnto the config, I was trying to setup the WAP200G with the TP.

I never tried that but what if I connect the USB port to the PC using I presume netlinx Studio?
  • Options
    If you keep a finger on the TP while the TP is booting it will take you into the setup page.
  • Options
    I’ve never connected to an MVP-8400 via USB. According to the user manual you have to get into the setup page to configure for USB. Catch 22.
  • Options
    If you keep a finger on the TP while the TP is booting it will take you into the setup page.

Thanks I forgot about this one, now I am back to the original problem.

from the TP I see RF link info SSID is set correctly it found on channel 10 link quality is very good and signal is excellent
    security is open (clear text),how I can I make sure it is not using any encription (Static WEP is always lit), do I set key 1 to all 0?

Wep is disble from the WAP200
  • Options
    I had to switch out my router and am now in the same predicament, were you able to get a connection?
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    You should be able to select 'open' security and this should not require an encryption key.

We can ignore the side of the argument of leaving a wireless network wide open being crazy on a high level.
  • Options
    MVP-8400 not connecting on WAP
    thepainter wrote: »
    I had to switch out my router and am now in the same predicament, were you able to get a connection?

No, I will try with antother router
  • Options
    MVP-8400 not connecting on WAP
    ericmedley wrote: »
    You should be able to select 'open' security and this should not require an encryption key.

We can ignore the side of the argument of leaving a wireless network wide open being crazy on a high level.

It is set to open (clear text), but the WEP icon stay lit as if it was selected as well
  • Options
    security
    ericmedley wrote: »

This is my test unit, it will be on a subnet, with no connection to the internet
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I’ve never connected to an MVP-8400 via USB. According to the user manual you have to get into the setup page to configure for USB. Catch 22.
    That's only for a system connection. You can still telnet and VNC into the panel if you point to 10.0.0.2; with that kind of combination, you could send a "setup" command in telnet, and then with VNC do what you need.
  • Options
    jjames wrote: »
    That's only for a system connection. You can still telnet and VNC into the panel if you point to 10.0.0.2; with that kind of combination, you could send a "setup" command in telnet, and then with VNC do what you need.
    Good to know. Thanks.
  • Options
    Informel

I had similar problem on the 5000 series panels a while back.

Switched from a encrypted connection (that actually worked fine)to a non encrypted, and it wouldnt connect properly anymore.

I had to reset the panel somewhere...
    "Reset system setting" i beleive...?
    (or some reset in the wireles setting??).

This fixed my problems, but a while back and propably fixed in a firmware upgrade.

Kenneth

Kenneth
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    kennethk wrote: »

This fixed my problems, but a while back and propably fixed in a firmware upgrade.

I ran into a spate of panels that wouldn't connect out of the box until you "Reset System Settings" (even though all the settings that were plugged in were correct), so I can confirm this behaviour.

Don't know if the problem still exists because I'm in the habit of performing a "Remove User Pages" and "Reset System Settings" on any new panel when it comes out of the box before I get started these days.
  • Options
    I had a similar problem just recently with an 8400.

The WAP failed so to make the onsite swap as painless as possible, we just configured the new WAP to the same SSID, IP and WPA settings. This caused no end of problems with the panel constantly dropping offline. We eventually found that changing the of the SSID to a new one solved the problem. The panel appeared to be storing a MAC Address or similar with that particular SSID and didn't like the new receiver until changed.

I suspect a reset system setting would have done the same thing.

Waz
  • Options
    MVP-8400 cannot setup WIFI problem solve
    kennethk wrote: »
    Informel

I had similar problem on the 5000 series panels a while back.

Switched from a encrypted connection (that actually worked fine)to a non encrypted, and it wouldnt connect properly anymore.

Kenneth

Kenneth

Thanks a lot, the reset system setting did solve my problem

Sorry for late response, I was a bit discourage by all the problems that I had with that system like frequent lock up of the MVP-8400 that need to be power cycled, this wireless problem and the communication problem with the NI-3000, this one was solve with a 50 feet cable btw the NI-3000 and the switch(for that kind of price I was expecting their product to be rock solid, but I have not seen that so far.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    They are as solid as any other WiFi product. Even Apple has issues with unusual networking conditions, etc. I have a client with a Savant system that regularly needs for the WiFi on the iPad to be turned off, then on again for it to connect. It's driving everyone involved crazy, but by no means common; plenty of tohers never have an issue.

But this kind of thing in general is par for the course for WiFi, and a big reason I shy away from this whole concept that everything ought to be wireless. There are simply too many factors to take into account so that you know everything is always covered.
  • Options
    Solid WIFI product
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    They are as solid as any other WiFi product. Even Apple has issues with unusual networking conditions, etc. I have a client with a Savant system that regularly needs for the WiFi on the iPad to be turned off, then on again for it to connect. It's driving everyone involved crazy, but by no means common; plenty of tohers never have an issue.

But this kind of thing in general is par for the course for WiFi, and a big reason I shy away from this whole concept that everything ought to be wireless. There are simply too many factors to take into account so that you know everything is always covered.

It is not only the WIFI but also the network connection of the NI-3000, it would drop the connection after couple of hours with a regular lenght of cable, I solved this issue with a 50' lenght of CAT5 (this is into another tread). I never experience anything like this with PC.

I too prefer everything to be connected with a wire; but I prefer to have my TP free.
  • Options
    informel wrote: »
    It is not only the WIFI but also the network connection of the NI-3000, it would drop the connection after couple of hours with a regular lenght of cable, I solved this issue with a 50' lenght of CAT5 (this is into another tread). I never experience anything like this with PC.

I too prefer everything to be connected with a wire; but I prefer to have my TP free.

Actually, I have seen that before and it's a problem with the switch. Some switches use an auto-negotiation protocol variant that the network chip on the AMX doesn't play well with. As I recall, it was a commercial grade D-Link that I had the problem with. When I switched it for a Netgear managed switch, it went away.
  • Options
    faulty switch or NI-3000
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Actually, I have seen that before and it's a problem with the switch. Some switches use an auto-negotiation protocol variant that the network chip on the AMX doesn't play well with. As I recall, it was a commercial grade D-Link that I had the problem with. When I switched it for a Netgear managed switch, it went away.

Well it was originally connected to a Cisco 806 router, then when this router failed, I had a cheap dlink, then a cheap TP-link, now it is going through a cheap TP-link switch, the NI-3000 had problem with all of them, but all the PCs never had any problem. so to me the faulty part is the NI-3000, but since it is my personal one, I do not really care if I have to connect it using a 50' cable
  • Options
    Well, you know how it goes... sometimes you get the same symptoms for different causes. But I might add that my "bad" switch had no problem with anything but AMX panels. Even the masters had no problem, just the panels. And I did the same as you ... just coiled up 50' of extra cable on the connections that were "too close" until I got a switch that worked.
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    informel wrote: »
    It is not only the WIFI but also the network connection of the NI-3000, it would drop the connection after couple of hours with a regular lenght of cable, I solved this issue with a 50' lenght of CAT5 (this is into another tread).

This sounds like classic symptoms of a problem with early revisions of the NI-3000's. See my posts here: http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?7590-NI-x000-vs-NI-x100-series-questions&highlight=modification

AMX in Australia seem to do the fix free of charge if the unit in question is one of the affected revisions (but they seemingly also replace the charge pump cap for the serial ports at the same time and charge for that).
  • Options
    NI-3000 network problem
    Auser wrote: »
    This sounds like classic symptoms of a problem with early revisions of the NI-3000's. See my posts here: http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?7590-NI-x000-vs-NI-x100-series-questions&highlight=modification

AMX in Australia seem to do the fix free of charge if the unit in question is one of the affected revisions (but they seemingly also replace the charge pump cap for the serial ports at the same time and charge for that).

Interesting, AMX north America answer was 'everything is up to spec'