Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Alternative to Hyperterminal on Windows7

What are you guys using as an alternative to non existing Hyperterminal tool on Windows7?
I've found some people using Putty, some other copying the actual exe and dll from XP and pasting these into Windows7...

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Check out Tera Term. http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp/
  • Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    I use a program called "indigo" from somebody called "shade blue."www.shadeblue.com It costs about $40, but in my estimation, it's worth it. It does both RS232 and telnet. It has a lot of features that are handy when doing AMX programming.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Hedberg wrote: »
    I use a program called "indigo" from somebody called "shade blue."www.shadeblue.com It costs about $40, but in my estimation, it's worth it. It does both RS232 and telnet. It has a lot of features that are handy when doing AMX programming.
    As it was developed by a former AMX programmer I believe. ;)

I use PuTTY though.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Still using PuTTY.

but I'm using my iPad more and more.
  • Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    jjames wrote: »
    As it was developed by a former AMX programmer I believe. ;)

I use PuTTY though.

That's my understanding though I don't know the guy. Indigo was recommended to me about seven or eight years ago by a very experienced AMX programmer. Also one of the sharpest people I've known. It's a good program.

I've glanced over the TeraTerm stuff and it looks like that might be worth looking into, particularly since it's free. Of course, a small fee for a program that gets updated gratis for seven years and more really isn't that much.
  • Options
    PuTTY for Telnet and general network stuff

Termite for RS-232 terminal (http://www.compuphase.com/software_termite.htm)
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Putty is hard to beat for telnet.
    We like HEX COM TOOL for terminal,

http://download.cnet.com/RS232-Hex-Com-Tool/3000-2383_4-10064973.html

"Com Tool can transmit or receive data in either Hex or ASCII. (It translates in real time) Change mode by clicking the transmit or receive label. Options include: cut and paste, COM1-COM60, any baud from 1-1000000+, bytes per line, choice of non-print character display options, log to file, easy scripting feature with delays. RS232 Hex Com Tool can be used with USB/RS232 hubs and does not replace the serial driver. Features: Quick click window, auto detect hardware, auto add bytes, delay between bytes, add and calculate checksum and Modbus CRC, stay on top, change window transparency, main and right click menu additions.

Read more: RS232 Hex Com Tool - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

http://download.cnet.com/RS232-Hex-Com-Tool/3000-2383_4-10064973.html#ixzz1Xu6AvXOF
  • Options
    I am in the Putty camp. I use it for Telnet, SSH, and 232 sessions.

I really like being able to customize everything from window size to font color separately for an unlimited number of servers. The logging functions work well too.

Indigo does look like it has many more features, but it also looks like it will take up too much screen space.
  • Options
    I use Indigo. There are a number of things that I really like about it:

a) A session manager, that you can store all of your connections (IP or RS232) into and group by site, system, etc.
    b) The ability to mix hex and ASCII characters in a single formatted string with ease.
    c) A pass-thru mode so that you can view everything that is flowing between two RS232 devices, such as a control system and a projector. You do need two RS232 comm ports (USB adapters work fine), but this has saved me a countless times in trying to troubleshoot whether my control is working or not.
    d) Auto-reconnect, so that it reconnects to the master (or any device) after a reboot

It is well worth the money.

I'm fairly certain that they offer a 30-day trial that includes all features.
  • Options
    Pep_SDPep_SD Posts: 106
    Thank you everyone for the amount of feedback and information.
    Will definitely tryout a bunch of these options.
  • Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    the8thst wrote: »
    I am in the Putty camp. I use it for Telnet, SSH, and 232 sessions.

I really like being able to customize everything from window size to font color separately for an unlimited number of servers. The logging functions work well too.

Ditto, been using PuTTy for years. Never looked at anything else. On mac I use iTerm2 for anything not rs232.
  • Options
    moty66moty66 Posts: 31
    Ohh, no body with Realterm ??

realterm.sourceforge.net
    Text or Binary views of data
    binary viewed as hex, 8 bit, 16 bit, little/big endian, signed, unsigned, special fonts
    colorised: rx and tx data are different colors
    ansi terminal or plain text or binary modes
    protocol analyser / "port spying" mode
    fixed frame sizes/line lengths
    sync patterns with masks and xors
    data inversion
    full remote control through active X/ Windows Scripting
    extensive command-line control
    can be used for serial I/O component of other programs via activeX. Full support for minimize,hide,iconize, tooltray
    special ascii+hex font to see hidden control chars
    capture to file, settable capture size or capture duration
    timestamping capture files for simple data logging
    view and change control lines (cts,rts, dcd etc)
    easy to send binary sequences
    serial (comports) or telnet via tcp
    arbitary baud rates
    reset / power buttons for Pic Programmer
    hideable to run in invisible or on tool-tray
    can dump files to serial port
    Drives I2C and SPI chips via BL233
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    By he way...
    You an use the CMD window for telnet sessions. You just need to turn the program on in Windows Program features. It's nice for quick, down-n-dirty telnet.
  • Options
    NetLinx Studio has both a serial terminal and telnet built in... you don't have to use it for AMX masters only.
  • Options
    HTWin

I'm cheap, so I rolled my own. It's at www.rickmcneely.com.

Handles Serial, HTTP/TCP Client/Server, UDP Client/Server, SSH.
    SSL/TLS protocols on TCP Client Connections.
    Macros with push/repeat/release/toggle events.
    In-line hex.
    On the fly hex conversion for incoming data.
    System and built-in network utilities.

It's free, and worth every penny...
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Very nice. I love the fact that I can use this as a TCP and UDP server. Great for debugging.

Good work!
  • Options
    Will add a quick thanks Rick - just downloaded but yet to play with it, but thanks for sharing your efforts for free!

I have personally used Socket Workbench for IP stuff and an app called Docklight for 232 testing. It has some rudimentary macroing that will send a response back based on strings sent. Bit pricey for what it is though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice comments, guys. I have thought of adding scripting, not sure how much it would be used.

Rick
  • Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Thanks. This looks like a nice program.

I think the only thing that is going to keep me from using it is the non-adjustable text size. The default text size is way too big and I was unable to find a spot to change it.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    font size

The text box is a standard windows "rich text" box. You can resize the text on the fly by:
    1. click anywhere in the box to select it.
    2. hold down your control key while using the scroll wheel on you mouse to resize the text.

I'm old, so I have it defaulting to a relatively large font size.

Next time I update i'll check into adding a font dialog.
  • Options
    Corrupted help file..

I've heard from a user that their download had a corrupted help file. I have (I hope) fixed that.

If you're new to this software, there is a 'Critical Info' section in the help file that is especially helpful.