Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Using a PLK-DMS with Netlinx?

I recently picked up a PLK-DMS to tool around with at home. I connected it to my NI-3100 with ICSNet, and it comes up. I see it in my online tree at device #13. If I try to load a test file, though, to 13:1:0, it fails. I've seen references to setting the PLK stuff to 6001+ device numbers - if I changed the device address to 6001, sending the kpd file to 6001:1:0 also fails.

What does it look like I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    It’s been a while since I’ve worked with any of those but I believe the .kpd files get mapped and loaded into the master – 0:1:0
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I think the hardware addresses need to be 6000+, but the way you talk to them in the software is though a virtual device that will be at a different number. And yes, the program will specify the keypad file to be loaded from the file area of the Netlinx. At least that's one way it can happen.
  • vincenvincen Posts: 526
    You also need to load a specific module into the master to get PLK managed by system. I attach it for your convenience :)
    You then need to declare the real device of each dms and one virtual per dms in your program, declare two variables for name of kpd file (that you have uploaded through ftp in the master) in that way:
    CHAR FICHIER_DMS_BUREAU[18] = 'DMS Bureau RDC.kpd'
    CHAR TABLEAU_DMS_BUREAU[5][10]

Be very careful about name of file !
    and then add declaration of module:
    DEFINE_MODULE 'DMS-IMSMod' DMS_BUREAU(vdvDMS_BUREAU,dvDMS_BUREAU,FICHIER_DMS_BUREAU,TABLEAU_DMS_BUREAU)

Vincèn
  • Thanks for the responses, everybody. I'm using the module. Do I need to change the device number of the DMS to a 6000 device #? I tried setting the device ID to 6001:1:0 in the program and left the actual device number as 13, and got "Pending" followed by "Cancelled" during the load. I changed the device number to 6001, and immediately got "Failed".
    Thanks for the responses, everybody. I'm using the module. Do I need to change the device number of the DMS to a 6000 device #? I tried setting the device ID to 6001:1:0 in the program and left the actual device number as 13, and got "Pending" followed by "Cancelled" during the load. I changed the device number to 6001, and immediately got "Failed".
    Each DMS has to use its own device ID, whatever you want so long it's not a virtual one, and you declare one device for each one in program. You declare also a virtual for each real DMS, and then you pass the two devices to module you load for each DMS.
    The KPD file has to be loaded into master, not into DMS !

Vincèn
  • Right, but somewhere the actual device number should be referenced in the program, right?

Are there different steps to do to load the .kpd file into the master? Currently, I'm going to the "file transfer" dialog and loading everything from there.
    Right, but somewhere the actual device number should be referenced in the program, right?
    Perhaps I misexplained myself previously but for each DMS in your system, you declare one virtual and one real (the real being adress setup for DMS), and you pass both at the module. When you need to get push or do something on the DMS from your program, all requests have to be sent at the virtual, not the real !
    Are there different steps to do to load the .kpd file into the master? Currently, I'm going to the "file transfer" dialog and loading everything from there.
    Not sure it still works that way with latest release of NSX ! If you do it with NSX, you should setup to load the file at 0:1:0 as it's supposed to be stored in master and not in DMS ! If it doesn't work, just use an FTP client (server: ip of your master, login: NetLinx, pass: password, be careful to respect the case) and then transfer your(s) kpd file !

Vincèn
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I have quite a few systems out there that have these. I'm not in front of my desk now but I do know they need to be the latest firmware version to work with a Netlinx system and the middle described above.

The way I deal with addresses is I hook them up one by one, look at the device tree (waiting for them to show up. It can take a minute or so) then right-click on whatever device they show up as and change it to what I want it to be. It doesn't matter 'technically' what device number they are set to as long as they are not in the virtual device range (over 32000 or so). I tend to follow AMX's recommendation and use 600X. But have a couple systems where they are 601~620 and even 11000. It was one of those cases that it was just easier to change the program...

Feedback is a bit of an issue in that they just don't seem to like to be told what to do too much.

Clients seem to want to too much on them and quickly end up with crazy interfaces that can be many levels deep due to the relative lack of buttons. I always try to keep expectations pretty low on them and when successful, the clients like having them around.

One more piece of advice, put the power supply on a good power conditioner/UPS. They are fairly finicky with noisy power.
    E