Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Relay power rating

Hi all,
Customer wants to use relays to control 4 light circuits (no dimming,just on/off). I've only ever used the relay ports as dry contact closures. In this case, I need to energize either 12vdc or 24vdc relays using the Ni3000 relays to close the high voltage end.
Q1: what is the max voltage supply can the Ni3000 relay ports handle? Do I supply +12v to port A or B, or it does'nt matter?
Q2: would it be OK to utilize the 12v available from the IO ports section? I understand its only got about 250mA of juice. Or better to take from the main AMX power supply?

Thanks all,
Brian

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    My advice is don't dirty up the power leg of your processor. Use a wall wart power supply and keep the systems separate. I'd rather have a bone-headed electrician accidentally blowing up my $9 wall wart than my control system master and who-knows-what else connected to it.
  • Options
    I would use the bussing bar that comes with the NI master and energize that with a feed straight from the power supply, and then you shouldn't have a problem triggering the relays.

I use this strategy all the time for 12v triggers on amps, relays for cooling fans, etc.