Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

DirecTV IP Control via SHEF

I thought you guys may find this interesting. You can control DirecTV receivers via IP using the "SHEF" protocol. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, but it looks very useful!

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    JJ was working on a module for this in this thread:

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?7975-JSON-Parsing-and-DirecTV-DVR&highlight=Json

I thought he posted the code for it too but didn't see it. Maybe it was posted elsewhere or maybe I'm just dillisional.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I accidentally removed it, so I just reuploaded it. I should note that it's not a complete module, but demonstrates how to use the JSON parser. I know there is already a DirecTV SHEF Duet module, but some places have a non-Duet policy which is why I wrote it. It also contains the source code and test JSON files.

FYI - Last I saw, SHEF 1.1 was out - and some of those commands no longer work. We moved away from controlling the boxes via IP because they've been known to change IP addresses for no reason, and without an IR backup getting them back to the IP you intended it to be can be difficult, especially if it's in the rack part of a switcher.