Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

ME260 - Wants to be an ME260/64

I read a post on here (I think it was a Duet FAQ post) claiming that ME260 can't be upgraded to ME260/64 because of hardware differences. Yeah, it makes sense that 4 times the memory would require at least 2 additional address lines, but I'm curious to see what AMX did with the ME260/64. I don't have access to an ME260/64 and was wondering if anyone had (or could take) some high-res photos of the chip side of the board?
The chips used in my whimpy 16MB master are 48LC4M16 which are 64Mbit (4M x 16) SDRAM in a 54-pin package. I am curious to see how the memory was arranged for 64 megs. Why wouldn't a soldered-in 48LC16M16 (16M x 16) work in place of the 4M chips (also 54-pin)? I haven't looked at the datasheets yet, but I'm assuming the difference between them are the additional address lines present on the 16M chips. Also, havent' looked to see if these pads are "connected" on the pcb, or if simple jumper wires would be needed.
Anyone else interested in trying to figure this out?

Comments

• Options
    Reese JacobsReese Jacobs Posts: 347
    ME260 - Wants to be an ME260/64

I spoke with AMX about this issue at the time the 260/64 was introduced when they were considering a procedure where dealers could return ME260 (16Mb versions) for upgrades to the 64Mb version. To be precise, AMX said it could be done but that it was not cost effective to do so. If you wanted the 260/64 just to run Duet, they recommended an NI-700 since the dealer cost on it would have been about the same as the 260/64 upgrade charge [the only problem with this approach is the lack of an ICSNet port on the NI-700].

In short, AMX said the upgrade could be performed so there does not seem to be any sort of hardware specific differences that would make it impossible. The conclusion at AMX was that the upgrade process would not be cost effective for dealers. As a result, it might be quite possible for you to do as you suggest.

Reese
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    You can just add your NI-700 to the system as another master and use the old processor to drive your devices. It doesn't have to run any code at that point, it's just managing its devices.

A conversation I had with AMX about upgrading to a 260/64 configuration brought out the fact that adding the requisite memory required soldering wires across the board to add new traces and cutting existing ones. It is a messy proposition at best.
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote:
    You can just add your NI-700 to the system as another master and use the old processor to drive your devices. It doesn't have to run any code at that point, it's just managing its devices.

That's the procedure I plan to do with my good old 32MB doc NXI-ME (which controls a much older AXcent1 by RS232, which is only used for the Volume control of my subwoofer ;) )... But first of all, I still should finish that program for the old system, before using DUET.....
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Memory upgrade aside, I'd think you'd run into difficulties uploading the 3.0 firmware to a pre-260/64 master, no? Don't think the AMX software will let you attempt it.

- Chip
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Chip Moody wrote:
    Memory upgrade aside, I'd think you'd run into difficulties uploading the 3.0 firmware to a pre-260/64 master, no? Don't think the AMX software will let you attempt it.

- Chip
    Nope, 3.0 won't load on an ME260 (much less the old ME) at all. You can try, it just reports an incompatible master and stops there.