Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

CVS Software

Hello,

I was interested if anyone uses CVS (Current version systems)software to backup there code ?

Comments

• Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Well it would be cool if NetLinx Studio could manage CVS systems as it would be perfect for archiving numerous versions of a project :)

Vince
  • Options
    I am interested to know how can NetLinx Studio support CVS.

But, Cafe Duet supports CVS system because it is an Eclipse based IDE.

Charles
  • Options
    jeffacojeffaco Posts: 121
    With SourceForge, you don't have much of a choice

My netlinx-modules project is up on SourceForge, and with SourceForge, you don't have much of a choice - you use CVS.

Things that I've learned using CVS and Netlinx Studio on SourceForge:

1. CVS (primarily because of SSH, which SourceForge requires) is a pain in the butt on Windows. You get to install multiple software packages, get deep into configuration of each to use public/private keys, etc,

2. CVS is a whole lot easier on Linux (Fedora for me). Everything is just there. You do a config in your ssh config file, set CVS_RSH to "ext", and you're done. Carry this over to any other (UNIX) system, and it all just works.

3. Depending on how you use CVS, NetLinx Studio can be rude, as I recall. I like to use CVS where checked out files are read-only, and you have to issue an 'edit' command to be able to change them. Protects against inadvertant changes. Most editors (properly) check if it has read-only access to a file, and handles it in a relatively friendly way. Back in NetLinx Studio v1 (haven't tried since then, I'm afraid), the application didn't expect read-only files (for project files, sources, etc), and wasn't terribly graceful.

As a result of all these issues, I do use CVS, but only because I must. After making changes, I copy my changes to UNIX where I can check them in.

For backup, I have nightly automated tape backups that, depending on which tape the data is on, can be retrieved for up to one year. Given that, I have no need to use CVS for backup.

At work (for my real job), I used to use CVS every day, but now perforce, a competitive product (same stuff, just different). I'm totally comfortable with source code control systems, but they work best if (1) You don't need to jump through hoops to use them, and (2) Your primary software environment is friendly to read-only files.
  • Options
    deadkendeadken Posts: 10
    You might check out TortioseCVS as it integrates nicely with Windows.

I use two laptops and a main computer, and so far the best solution I have found is Syncback from 2BrightSparks.

The free version does very nicely, though I do have problems with deleting files coming back from the dead.
  • Options
    jeffacojeffaco Posts: 121
    deadken wrote:
    You might check out TortioseCVS as it integrates nicely with Windows.
    I'm quite familiar with TortioseCVS. It's a reasonable product, but then you need putty (or something) for SSH access (which SourceForge requires for security). And, if you use putty, then you need to run their identity manager and load the private key you generated from SourceForge in it. And you need to configure TortioseCVS to use Putty.

All in all, a pain in the butt. Especially since, from UNIX, I just CD into the CVS tree and type:

"cvs update"

Everything just works. And this is without any additional software installed on top of Fedora (Linux).

I stand by my statement: Source code control systems work best if (1) You don't need to jump through hoops to use them, and (2) Your primary software environment is friendly to read-only files.
  • Options
    Open source CVS

Has anybody tried Subversion? It is an open-source version control system. It runs on the following operating systems:
    All modern flavors of Unix, Win32, BeOS, OS/2, MacOS X.

Subversion is written in ANSI C and uses APR, the Apache Portable Runtime library, as a portability layer. The Subversion client will run anywhere APR runs, which is most places. The Subversion server (i.e., the repository side) is the same, except that it will not host a BDB repository on Win9x platforms (Win95/Win98/WinME), because Berkeley DB has shared-memory segment problems on Win9x. FSFS repositories (introduced in version 1.1) do not have this restriction; however, due to a limitation in Win9x's file-locking support, they also don't work in Win9x.

To reiterate, the Subversion client can be run on any platform where APR runs. The Subversion server can also be run on any platform where APR runs, but cannot host a repository on Win95/Win98/WinMe.
  • Options
    We are using Subversion with TortoiseSVN as frontend. Works pretty well, and we have to manage a lot of files (projects, SysCalls/Modules, etc). Files are saved on a Linux server. We are using Subversion/TortoiseSVN on the office desktops and also on the Laptops to go onsite.