Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

IR learner

Has anyone used the USB-UIRT device to capture IR?
I would hope that at minimum it would capture and have a way to copy the hex codes out so that I can paste them into IREdit.
I found another product at www.engo.com that will capture directly to IREdit but can't find anyone who has used this product.

Thx

Comments

• Options
    Kenny,
    If an AMX IRIS is not available, the ENGO product is a great alternative. I have used both in the past and they work great.
  • Options
    sling100sling100 Posts: 123
    I use the USB-UIRT all the time - the little bit of software that comes with it captures the IR as pronto hex which you can then just drop into IR Edit. It's that easy. Haven't used my IRIS for maybe 5 years - the PSU alone is bigger than the UIRT.

Simon
  • Options
    sling100sling100 Posts: 123
    Oh and to add to that - the engo product is just a rebadged UIRT. Don't bother with it - the software doesn't work properly (especially if you don't use a US keyboard as all it is doing is using the internal IREdit shortcuts and some of these are mapped differently on non-US layouts). It's not really much quicker than you cutting/pasting the hex code yourself.

Simon
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 209
    I was lucky enough to ask a nearby installer who let me borrow his.
    From my quick tests it seems to work just fine with the software from the uirt site.
    Just capture, copy the hex out and into IREdit, done.
    Wish I had one of these years ago.

Thx everyone for the replies.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    FYI - I just purchased a USB-UIRT and have already begun working on an application that will receive the pronto hex code, convert it to an AMX IR function, and then automatically insert that data into the selected IR channel. Think of it as a 'lite' off-brand of IREdit made specifically for the USB-UIRT.

I have the IR file (IRL files only) manipulation working (i.e. insert, change and delete) already and have seen that the software captures & displays the pronto hex , I just need to marry the two together and actually test it with a real unit.

I'm not sure if I'm feeling up to the challenge yet, but I may have the program also transfer the IR file to an AMX device; aside from that, any other ideas / suggestions?

P.S. - the program will be free in terms of monetary cost, however it will be closed source.
  • Options
    jimmywjimmyw Posts: 112
    jjames wrote: »
    P.S. - the program will be free in terms of monetary cost, however it will be closed source.

Somewhat disappointing that it will be closed source, I made a program to dump irl files to html files with ccf formatting years ago and made it open source, I'll see if I can dig it up and make the conversion the other way as well, at the time I had to reason to go from anything else > AMX.

I wonder if what you are basing your functions on is a derivative of my work.

J
  • Options
    No - it's not based on your work. Not even sure what your program is to be honest. If mine was based on an open source project, I'd include it as open source. I'm closing the source for a couple reasons, but the main one is that when I get the transfer portion to / from the device, it'll support encrypted ICSP - something I'm sure AMX wouldn't want in the open.

What I do find funny though is that you'd assume that my project is a derivative of yours just because I'm dealing with IRL manipulation. That's about as asinine as someone saying the answer to a math problem is 6, showed their work and used 3+3. They then speculate that because anyone who doesn't show their work used their amazing skills and used 3+3 instead of 3 x 2. It's not just funny, but a little rude to be honest.
  • Options
    feddxfeddx Posts: 175
    sling100 wrote: »
    Oh and to add to that - the engo product is just a rebadged UIRT. Don't bother with it - the software doesn't work properly (especially if you don't use a US keyboard as all it is doing is using the internal IREdit shortcuts and some of these are mapped differently on non-US layouts). It's not really much quicker than you cutting/pasting the hex code yourself.

Simon

The newest version of the software on the website (v1.04) fixes the issues with the cut and paste into code, though you do need to switch your keyboard to US for it to properly use the keyboard shortcuts. (which takes all of 10 seconds and then ever less to change back and forth)

I use this exclusively now and haven't used the IRIS in years.
  • Options
    Just a quick update.

Enjoy...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K0bz6EUUFk
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Let me be the first of many to say that looks outstanding.
  • Options
    This begs the question why have we put up with IRIS and IRedit being so bad for so long when you have knocked this out in a week!
    Nice work!!
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    +1 on that. Looks fantastic.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I will be more than happy to purchase that software when it's ready. I've been sick to death of the flakiness of the IRIS for years (and I'm sure if you searched it on these forums, you would see find many complaints from me about it).
  • Options
    Thanks guys - the kind words are appreciated. It's very much in its early stages of development, and there's definitely some pit falls at the moment - such as the lack of undo/redo operations (ouch!!) I'm also thinking about adding templates, like in IREdit, with the ability to create custom templates so when learning it'll automatically skip to the next slot that you've got in your template.

There's a lot to do, but the groundwork is there . . . but we'll see how far I get before any roadblocks are put in place.
  • Options
    Don't get hung up on the whistles and hold it back when the bells are already done.

That is to say, put out a simple first release. Enhance as convenient. Also, it's harder to stop something that is small and already out and popular than something that is coming that is huge and worrisome... not that any company we know ever tries to stop anything...

I ordered a USB-UIRT today from Amazon, it said it was their last one...
  • Options
    Not sure what you paid for it - and lucky you for getting the last one! - but they're orderable from usbuirt.com as well.

Let me urge you guys though - don't go running out buying this thing prior to me releasing my software. I had a fair amount of the code written prior to getting the UIRT, so I had a head start when I got my unit on Saturday. From here, I've got a large hill to climb prior to releasing even a beta. I'll definitely keep everyone posted.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Don't get hung up on the whistles and hold it back when the bells are already done.

That is to say, put out a simple first release. Enhance as convenient. Also, it's harder to stop something that is small and already out and popular than something that is coming that is huge and worrisome... not that any company we know ever tries to stop anything...

I ordered a USB-UIRT today from Amazon, it said it was their last one...
    Also, if we're willing to pay you for this that's a great motivator for you to continue working on revisions and updates sooner rather then later.
  • Options
    About elegance...

From http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/the_general_problem.png
    (permission given on the page) http://xkcd.com/
    Always a treat at xkcd.
  • Options
    Here's more software that supports the USB-UIRT, this is FREE... a more featured version is also offered for a $15 donation that also gives access to their IR library.

http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4/22/60/article.asp

To use it for intake for AMX, follow the directions for capture to a button, then copy/paste the learned result from their window to your IREDIT hex input window. A little side-steppy for lots of use, but it works right now, free.

UPDATE: This application installs a start link in your startup folder. It does not appear to need to do this, and it wants to phone home. It appears to work with the startup link deleted. Just FYI.
  • Options
    Alpha testing

PM me for details.
  • Options
    GC-IRL IR Learner from global cache is cheap and works.
  • Options
    Interesting. Does it build IRL files for AMX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Yes, it was shown to me by the AMX trainer for Canada. I have used it to record and save files in the Hex format than import into AMX IR code.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Yes, it was shown to me by the AMX trainer for Canada. I have used it to record and save files in the Hex format than import into AMX IR code.

Bit of a difference between creating hex to import and actually building the file in AMX format. I don't mind doing that as a last resort, but I find the extra step annoyingly tedious.
  • Options
    It took me less than 20 minutes to capture the codes and have it loaded and working on my home NXI.
  • Options
    So I looked more at the GC-IRL IR Learner, the biggest downside is that it's serial - something a lot of laptops (and desktops) seem to be getting away from. Sure, you could probably use a USB-to-Serial converter, but that's just another cable you need to carry with ya. Please don't think I'm dismissing the value of the GC-IRL, I'm sure it has its place, but when compared to the USB-UIRT (or the Engo piece), having a USB only solution is nice. Global Cache does have a USB solution (GB-RG1), but apparently no API driver, however the 30-72KHz learning range does make it appealing - the USB-UIRT only has a 34-40KHz and optional 56KHz receiver. Now if it had an API driver, I'd consider writing a program for it if someone bought me a piece to use / test, I just don't feel like spending another $50+ on a device for a program I'd release for free.

As we can see, there are several options out there for IR learners, we're (I'm) just limited by what kind of API there is. I'm not one for round-about hack-jobs using macros to copy and paste the Pronto hex into IREdit.
  • Options
    Yes, it is serial but I have it connected to a serial USB adaptor and it works fine. I do wish that it was direct USB however because like you said jjames, it's one more cable to remember to bring.
  • Options
    THE BEST IR LEARNER

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9405&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=60

have been looking for an affordable IR learner for quite some time, bought this for something like 40 bucks, its a small usb dongle (highly portable). You just instal the driver and the software (IR scope). I didnt read the manual, and I had good HEX codes in IRedit within 20 seconds of installation. They shipped to Canada quite fast too.
  • Options
    Yes, it is serial but I have it connected to a serial USB adaptor and it works fine. I do wish that it was direct USB however because like you said jjames, it's one more cable to remember to bring.

Personally, I wouldn't imagine going to site to program anything without having a RS232-USB converter in my bag. There are too many pieces of gear that still require it. Even if it's listening in on a RS232 device for debugging purposes or testing. So, you really would have that cable regardless. JMO.

Also, if you're using the original GC software, captured data is automatically placed on Window's clipboard. So, CTRL-V is all you need in IREdit once a function is learned. You don't need to CTRL-C...switch applications....CTRL-V. Capturing a handheld is fairly quick once you've got the hang of it.
  • Options
    joseaniojoseanio Posts: 42
    I liked your software . It is easy and practical to use. Do you have an idea about the date for the new release of your ir learner software ???

jjames wrote: »
    So I looked more at the GC-IRL IR Learner, the biggest downside is that it's serial - something a lot of laptops (and desktops) seem to be getting away from. Sure, you could probably use a USB-to-Serial converter, but that's just another cable you need to carry with ya. Please don't think I'm dismissing the value of the GC-IRL, I'm sure it has its place, but when compared to the USB-UIRT (or the Engo piece), having a USB only solution is nice. Global Cache does have a USB solution (GB-RG1), but apparently no API driver, however the 30-72KHz learning range does make it appealing - the USB-UIRT only has a 34-40KHz and optional 56KHz receiver. Now if it had an API driver, I'd consider writing a program for it if someone bought me a piece to use / test, I just don't feel like spending another $50+ on a device for a program I'd release for free.

As we can see, there are several options out there for IR learners, we're (I'm) just limited by what kind of API there is. I'm not one for round-about hack-jobs using macros to copy and paste the Pronto hex into IREdit.