Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

3rd Party Keypad

I am looking for a wall keypad that isn't made by AMX.
Prefer to have custom lettering/symbols on the buttons either something I can change or put on by the mfg.
I would like it to look similar to the Metreau series but could settle for the look of the Novara.
It can either out put al serial protocol or just a matrix output for each column and row.
This is for several custom rooms and they may not have an AMX system in them, other wise I would just use the AMX keypads.
I know some of the Resi guys have done this for picky clients.

Thx
Kenny

Comments

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    XANTECH made, maybe still does, a wall keypad that talked 2-way RS232. You could talk to it with anything. I don't know any other solutions that don't have a proprietary back end (Lutron, Vantage, etc.)
  • Options
    RTI keypads. 2,4,8 buttons available. They're now offering custom buttons, or you can just print whatever you want on transparent paper.

They can output any IR code by themselves, or run them all back to one or more RTI processors and make your own RS232 protocol. If the room has AMX, just run the output into an IR input and use AMX codes. No AMX, program the IR codes for the devices in the room.

RK1-2,4,8 keypads.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    Looks like a win:
    http://www.rticorp.com/products/rk1.html
    Retail from $250 (per some pretty old links)
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Excellent suggestion Kevin! I never thought of using an RTI keypad in an AMX system - mostly because we've never needed to.
  • Options
    We use Dynalite keypads for this - any combo of buttons colours and finishes. The dynet bus is RS485 and if it's just keypads on the bus then it will hook up directly to the AMX serial port.

Great stuff.
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 209
    Jim do you have any pricing for the Dynalite? Even msrp would be fine.
    PM if you want to discuss.
  • Options
    Higher spec range DR 2PE 1-8 button single column are £260 msrp. 2 column £350

Basic DPWE range £200-280

Revolution 2 series offers limitless finish options and adding buttons involves only changing the bezel - common circuit below with all 8 buttons positions and LED's available, different size buttons - 1,2 or3 heights etc etc

US prices may vary. AMX Australia wrote the Amx module for Dynet Comms.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I'm not getting this. What does it matter if there is no AMX gear in the room if the keypad used still has to communicate through an AMX master running code to perform some undisclosed tasks. Unless something could be found less than 1/2 the cost of an AMX keypad and you needed dozens of them I don't see the cost savings when the coding required to pull this off is probably significantly more than the cost differences in the keypads. I could see if there was Lutron or Vantage on the job then matching that style would be advantageous but unless you looking for a keypad like a learning IR keypad that can control local equipment directly with out any other gear like the old Niles keypads or the RTI IR kps I would just use the AMX keypad and be done with it.
  • Options
    The OP implies the purpose as just being to control things in rooms that aren't on the AMX... the ability to talk to both the AMX and to other things is just a plus.
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »
    The OP implies the purpose as just being to control things in rooms that aren't on the AMX... the ability to talk to both the AMX and to other things is just a plus.

Yes but how are these keypads talking to anything if not through amx? Only IR learning KPs can directly control assorted non AMX gear with out some sort of processor but all the keypads suggested are serial communicating types which necessitates using an AMX processor or similar so what's the point in using non AMX keypads if matching existing styles isn't the goal.
  • Options
    The RTI puts out IR commands, directly. By itself. I don't know how the Dynalite might accomplish their goals... they certainly appear to need something at the center. I think they were a topic drift, keypads that don't need but can talk to a NetLinx. Not clear they would help this OP.
  • Options
    This system probably will not have an AMX controller in it. We are trying to sell AMX of course but the customer is balking at the price.
    We have another custom made in house option that we may try to sell them. Our hopes are that if they buy our made in house option that they will bump up to the AMX once they use it for a while.
    That is why I didn't want to use AMX keypads.
    The ideal solution would for this keypad to output rs232 or 485 and be able to set what the protocol is in the keypad.
    I could also use a keypad that has the buttons wired in a matrix fashion so that I could take 8 inputs and detect 16 buttons.
    I like the look of the Dynalite. If the RTI output something other than IR then it would be good too. I wasn't looking to add a bunch of RTI products, I might as well make the whole system RTI.
    Thanks for everyones input.
  • Options
    Kenny wrote: »
    This system probably will not have an AMX controller in it. We are trying to sell AMX of course but the customer is balking at the price.
    We have another custom made in house option that we may try to sell them. Our hopes are that if they buy our made in house option that they will bump up to the AMX once they use it for a while.
    That is why I didn't want to use AMX keypads.
    The ideal solution would for this keypad to output rs232 or 485 and be able to set what the protocol is in the keypad.
    I could also use a keypad that has the buttons wired in a matrix fashion so that I could take 8 inputs and detect 16 buttons.
    I like the look of the Dynalite. If the RTI output something other than IR then it would be good too. I wasn't looking to add a bunch of RTI products, I might as well make the whole system RTI.
    Thanks for everyones input.

What do you intend to use to receive the serial strings from the KPs, global cache, hai? An NI-700 in pretty cheap and add a couple of Siteplayer 232/IP converters for $80.00 (cost) each for extra serial port needed.
  • Options
    With Dynalite you can add any number of single channel RS232 & IR output units to the dynet buss, but in reality it would be easier with a netlinx master in there.
  • Options
    The control board is based on the Atmel ATmega 328 chip with a custom main board. It can take in 232, IO, or ethernet.
    The output is IR, IO, 232. We are still in development phase right now.
    It is very simple to program. I don't see this as competing with the established control companies but is something for the user that just wants to control a simple system like a proj, screen and simple dvd controls.
  • Options
    Why reinvent the wheel?

Extron have been doing something like this for years, I can't vouch for how or even if it works, but when I first saw it it did peak my interest for a solution where there was just a proj, amp & 1 or 2 sources.

http://www.extron.com/product/listbytype.aspx?subtype=26
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    [Thread Drift]

The Extron controllers' programming environment is more limited than the programming environment for Novara control pads (CP-1000 or 3000), but there also seem to be fewer bugs and gotchas in the configuration software. In general they seem to work pretty much as advertised first time around which is more than I can say for my experience with the Novara control pads.

The area is one that Extron is placing some emphasis on, and they seem to have a roadmap for where they're going with the configuration software.

From memory there are a few severe limitations on the lower end keypads such as some buttons being dedicated to power on and power off - you can retask them, but can't make them into a toggling power on/off button for example. These limitations are something to be aware of, but can be factored into the design if you know what they are from the outset.

[/Thread Drift]
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    pdabrowski wrote: »
    Why reinvent the wheel?

Extron have been doing something like this for years, I can't vouch for how or even if it works, but when I first saw it it did peak my interest for a solution where there was just a proj, amp & 1 or 2 sources.[/url]

There are lots of other competing products in our local market, most of which are pretty trashy. A key reason to reinvent the wheel would be being able to offer nice architectural finishes (via a Dynalite keypad), have more powerful scripting capabilities, be able to respond to real feedback from a device, and have programmable feedback on the keypad.
  • Options
    Kenny wrote: »
    The control board is based on the Atmel ATmega 328 chip with a custom main board. It can take in 232, IO, or ethernet.
    The output is IR, IO, 232. We are still in development phase right now.
    It is very simple to program. I don't see this as competing with the established control companies but is something for the user that just wants to control a simple system like a proj, screen and simple dvd controls.
    That sounds like it could be fun but if the clients want simple (cheap) and the keypad is in the room with this local equipment I would rely on visual and hearing feedback, use components with discrete IR where possible and install IR learning keypads. Niles Intellipad (if still made) or the RTI learning IR keypads.
  • Options
    It seems everybody wants to make a low end control box. With the selection available already from Global Cache, RTI, URC, XANTECH, EXTRON, and many others who have come and gone (Casaworks, Destiny, etc), I don't see the appeal of spending development time to do it yet again. It's not like you can build it and be done... the upgrades and support and gotchas will never stop. If you don't have a unique vision for how yours will better (and even if you do), you may never earn back your development investment.