Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Netlinx Studio 3.3 issues updating processor Firmware?

This weekend, I upgraded Netlinx studio to the most recent 3.3 version, and today (Monday) I was in the field installing programming for a new project.

Typically one of the first things that I do is address the processors and update firmware. For several months, I've been installing the 3.60.453 version on processors using the latest 3.2 version of Netlinx studio without any issues. I did such an update on a processor in the field on Thursday of last week, in fact.

Today, however, after upgrading the firmware on a NI-4100 (brand new) and a NI-2100 (a 'spare' that came from a previous project, known to be working) using Netlinx Studio version 3.3, neither processor came back online. After power cycling the processors, the LEDs dance around, but the status light never lights up. It was impossible to connect via RS-232 or Ethernet. After a call with AMX tech support, ultimately both processors were RMA'd.

Has anyone here seen issues like these with 3.3?

Comments

• Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Sounds odd. One thing I have found that was rather infuriating is that the reboot check box in the transfer files dialog isn't getting checked automatically anymore, even though in my settings I have that flag checked. I kept loading code and seeing the same problems, and finally realized that the code was updated but the controller never rebooted so it was running the old code. I have to manually check the box now every time I choose a new tkn. How these things break I don't know. Doubtful that is your problem but I thougth I would mention it just in case.
    Paul
  • Options
    Were you using TCP/IP or RS232 to upgrade the FW?
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    pdabrowski wrote: »
    Were you using TCP/IP or RS232 to upgrade the FW?

I was using tcp/ip and uploading the tkn. It likely isn't related to what you have experienced but I thought I would mention it, since if the firmware gets upgraded, but no reboot happens, I'm not sure what the result would be.
    Paul
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    The result would be that the unit would continue to run unchanged until a reboot did occur. The upgrade is a program that runs at boot. As long as the unit were not rebooted, presuming it wasn't out of memory from the kit waiting in storage, no harm, no change. Til later. Potentially confusing though.

I've done a couple firmwares since going Win7/64 (with the new Studio), and so have others in our group. No issues to report, no fresh bricks here.
  • Options
    mushmush Posts: 287
    John Nagy wrote: »
    I've done a couple firmwares since going Win7/64 (with the new Studio), and so have others in our group. No issues to report, no fresh bricks here.

Ditto

Mush
  • Options
    cpopecpope Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information

Thanks for the responses. Since my experience seems to be unique, I will try reinstalling. I was using TCP/IP to upload the firmware in both cases, and I was using Windows XP/32. I might also try turning off the Windows firewall just in case it's doing something.