Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Zigbee NXR-ZGW-PRo

Hi guys pls help, been installing this system for 3 days now but I can't find ways to know the IP address of this zigbee I tried to use angry Ip but no luck, bonjour but don know how to use it i connected evrything to the netlinx system and on the zeron conf window i right click refresh list but says could not activate zero conf network scan pls visit apple website to install bonjour for windows package but I am only redirected to the bonjour for printer, what is the best thing to configure this zigbee?

thanks and regards to all

Comments

• Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Let your ZGW get a DHCP address and look for its MAC in your router.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Let your ZGW get a DHCP address and look for its MAC in your router.

HI sir could pls elaborate it further? i can't get it thanks
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Make sure Windows Firewall isn't blocking port 5353. It is blocked by default in some versions post XP SP2. Remember too that Bonjour won't jump subnets, you might want to reset the gateway so you can be certain it's using DCHP.
  • Options
    I have disabled Bonjour on my ZGWs. Rumor is that it can cause lockups.
  • Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    You can use this MAC scanner software if it is anywhere on the same subnet as your computer.

http://www.colasoft.com/mac_scanner/index.php?act=mac_scanner

You can also check the online tree for the master in studio to see if it is connected and to see what device number the master handed out to it. Then telnet into the master and type "get ip 32000" where 32000 is the correct device number of the gateway.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Telnet is your friend.
    Try SHOW SYSTEM. You see everything, including IP addresses, firmware levels, etc. of everything attached.
  • Options
    the8thst wrote: »
    You can use this MAC scanner software if it is anywhere on the same subnet as your computer.

http://www.colasoft.com/mac_scanner/index.php?act=mac_scanner

You can also check the online tree for the master in studio to see if it is connected and to see what device number the master handed out to it. Then telnet into the master and type "get ip 32000" where 32000 is the correct device number of the gateway.

HI have downloaded the file and will try tomorrow thanks a lot
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Telnet is your friend.
    Try SHOW SYSTEM. You see everything, including IP addresses, firmware levels, etc. of everything attached.

Yah have done that too but no luck..

thanks
  • Options
    If you have reset the gateway according to the manual (hold the button for 30 seconds I believe), it will default to DHCP, and auto connect mode. If there is one master on the same network that is LISTEN ENABLED (UDP BC is on, as it is by default), and your network DHCP is working, the gateway will automatically connect to the NetLinx and you'll see it on the tree and in show status, where you can see the IP it got, and then web into it directly. If not, AND THE ABOVE CONDITIONS are met, you likely have a bad bit of hardware, be it wires, network switch, router, gateway, or NetLinx.
  • Options
    HI John

thanks for your reply, what I did was the following:

1. Set the master to static ip address 192.168.1.10
    2. WAP1000 to 192.168.1.240
    3. MVP 900i to 192.168.1.250
    4 there is an ordinary switch dlink where the TP, WAP100 and master is connected plus the zigbee and my laptop
    5 set my laptop to 192.168.1.200
    6. open netlink and in online tree I can see the master and TP when i switch to zeroconf and right click refresh zeroconf list nothing shows, I did reset the zigbee hold 30 seconds but still the same, maybe I have to set the master and TP to DHCP temporarily? is that tight?

Regards
  • Options
    Here's what I do, undoubtedly others have different ways.

Know what your DHCP range is set to in your router. Generally 2-99 or even lower is good.
    Never assign any static addresses to devices within the range DHCP thinks it has to play with. That way you can't step on whatever DHCP is selling to new devices. That is to say, your Netlinx is likely in the way of your DHCP. You do NOT need to put the master or panels to DHCP, unless you just want to see if DHCP works at all, not a bad idea.

Isolate the devices you want to have online, remove or disconnect anything on your network that can confuse or litter your lists.

Any router worth using will have a SHOW CLIENT page that will show you what DHCP it has handed out. Anything you don't know for sure is NOT your gateway, try to web into it with a browser. CHROME is the most compatible with AMX web servers from my experience. So if you see "192.168.1.6" on the list in DHCP, enter that on the type in line in a browser and press ENTER. See what you get. If you get a login pop for something called "Goahead" you have the gateway. Admin and password are the user and password.

Don't rely on zeroconfig to find your device. In NetLinx studio, open the tree tab, press DISPLAY, pick REFRESH ONLINE TREE and see if it's already there. Look for NXR ZGW. You may need to open the VIRTUAL [+] box to see more of the tree. If it's in the tree, you also see it and get the current IP address in TELNET as already discussed.

If the NetLinx can't find the gateway and you can't see it in your router's table, something else is wrong. Use a network scanner and examine the IP addresses it finds with the gateway connected and NOT connected. Find the item that comes and goes, then again log into it as above. You have choices, like "AngryIP" (free) and for the iPhone/iPad, "iNet" which is my favorite as it clearly identifies everything it finds.

If none of this works, try really hard to reset the gateway (like power off, wait 10 minutes, power back on while holding the button, hold the button for like 3 minutes, wait a while and hold it again for minutes...) and try again. Still no joy, it may be the gateway. Do you have another? Do you have AMX support? You may need to use it... and maybe an RMA.
  • Options
    Thank you very much John for explaining it further will do your advice and test it once I reach site.

Again thank you so much

Regards,
  • Options
    The default login for the gateway is Admin/1988

• Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    kenwood329 wrote: »
    HI John

thanks for your reply, what I did was the following:

1. Set the master to static ip address 192.168.1.10
    2. WAP1000 to 192.168.1.240
    3. MVP 900i to 192.168.1.250
    4 there is an ordinary switch dlink where the TP, WAP100 and master is connected plus the zigbee and my laptop
    5 set my laptop to 192.168.1.200
    6. open netlink and in online tree I can see the master and TP when i switch to zeroconf and right click refresh zeroconf list nothing shows, I did reset the zigbee hold 30 seconds but still the same, maybe I have to set the master and TP to DHCP temporarily? is that tight?

Regards

It looks like you are trying to run the system without a router (which can work). That means you do not have a DHCP server running so you the gateway will end up with an IP address of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx and won't be visible on the 192.168.1 subnet.

Is there a way to force the gateway to default to a known IP instead of a dynamic address? If not, then your easiest bet is to hook up your computer and the zigbee gateway to a temporary router that has DHCP enabled so you can get into the settings of the gateway and setup a static IP address on the 192.168.1 subnet and then move it back into your routerless system.
  • Options
    The default login for the gateway is Admin/1988

Thanks, you are correct, I was typing faster than I was thinking.

And of course DHCP can't work if there is no DHCP server (generally the router) in the system. I guess I presumed that without saying it explicitly... can't rely on DHCP if nobody serves it. Thanks for that mention.
  • Options
    Hi John Thanks for your advice finally I was able to connect my Zigbee to the network I bring my ADSL-Router to the site and connect the zigbee and presto i found it on the devices connected thank you very much, another question how do set the address of the novara keypad? i installed 2 of those,

thanks again

Victor
  • Options
    THe Novara keypads are fully documented from AMX...
    http://www.amx.com//assets/manuals/CP.SP-1000.OperationReferenceGuide.pdf
  • Options
    ZXR-ZGW with a static address

Just to add to the comments above.

When I reset the AMX gateway (ZXR-ZGW) by pressing the ID button for more than 30 seconds, the AMX gateway would NOT come up DHCP enabled, but instead stayed with a static IP address.

This of course poses an issue when you are trying to see what IP address is handed out because it will obviously not be there.

Many of the tools described above will work fine if the AMX gateway is on the same subnet as the utility you are running. But if you are on a different subnet than the AMX gateway, this can make it much more difficult to find the IP of the AMX gateway. My subnet address was 192.168.7.x and the AMX gateway was set for a completely different subnet.

Here is how I found out the IP.

1) Connect a direct ethernet cable between your AMX gateway device and your computer/laptop.
    2) Run either Microsoft Netmon or Wireshark (Network Capture Tools) and start capturing data
    3) Press the ID button on the gateway for more than 30 seconds
    4) Stop the netmon capture and look for any address that is different than the subnet your computer/laptop is on.
    5) Take note of this address. (See attached screenshot)
    6) In both cases, for two different AMX gateways, they both came up with 192.168.1.140. I'm not sure if this is the default address that comes up when you reset the gateways or not.
    7) Change your network address on your computer/laptop to match the same address that you noted in step 5.
    8) In my case, I set my laptop address to 192.168.1.100 to match the subnet that I found in the capture (192.168.1.140).
    9) In your browser, type the address you noted in step 5 (i.e. http://192.168.1.140/)
    10) You should see a prompt from the goahead web server if you have the right address.
    11) Type Admin/1988 (The username Admin is case sensitive)
    12) Click the configuration tab on the AMX gateway and set the IP address to DHCP if you want to use DHCP or set the static IP address to fit your needs.
  • Options
    After setting up dozens of these, yes, 192.168.1.140 appears to be the (unpublished) default address for the gateways as shipped and after reset. As it is NOT documented, new firmware could change that someday.
  • Options
    Thanks John,
    You have helped me today with getting my Zigbee unit up and running.
    The Reset 3min, then 3min again worked. awesome.

Much Appreciate your help and experience.

Cheers
    Steve