Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

SNMP Module

Hello. I am looking for a module that can send SNMP traps to a SNMP server. I am having a hard time finding a good document that explains the v1 protocol. does anyone have a module that already does this or know of a good document to build a module off of

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I recently wrote software for this and I must say that there is scant information concerning just how to construct a SNMP message. I think it's a good example of how most programmers nowadays are operating one level above where this stuff happens. I got lots of info of how to type a unix command and how to write a unix script to type the unix command for you. I will tell you that the only document I found helpful was actually by a pro audio manufacturing company called RANE. You might be able to google it by RANE and SNMP. It's a PDF document apparently given out at a NAMM or AES show class that tells music gear manufacturers that they all need to get on the IP control bandwagon and impliment SNMP. (This, of course, never really happened in the way that folks thought it would...) At any rate, in that document is a graphic that shows the anatomy of an SNMP message in hex complete with check sums and whatnot. I can tell you that this is not a complete documentation for all types of SNMP messages but it's a good hint for you to reverse engineer the other messages. I'd offer my help on this but I'm bound by a NDA. But, I can tell you that I got a good hunk of my expertise from this single document. Good luck!
  • Options
    thanks

thanks eric. this document was helpful. i'll give this a try.