Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

LG Display Telnet port

Has anyone ever controlled an LG commercial display via Telnet? No mention of it in the manual.

There is an application called eZ-Net which runs on a PC, and allows control, but I have no idea which protocol it operates on.

At the distances we are locating displays from the central controller, we cannot run RS-232, at least not without an intermediary control bus.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    what sort of distance are you talking about the RS232? meters, kilometers, miles?
  • Options
    gregrgregr Posts: 54
    over 100m in some instances
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    If you don't have any luck finding a protocol doc it is worthwhile becoming familiar with WireShark. It'll allow you to control it using the util you mentioned and sniff the protocol for the commands you're after. It's a useful tool to have in your kit.
  • Options
    gregrgregr Posts: 54
    thanks, PhreaK. I have WireShark, but have not used it much. Seems pretty intense.

I did, however, run IPTools while LG's app was running, and discovered the Telnet port it was using to talk to the display. Then using DataViewer from Extron I could connect and talk to the display with the same protocol as the serial port uses.

So it seems it is possible, despite LG's lack of documentation, intended or not.