Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Send_String to NI-3100

Hello All,

Making progress ... I am still awaiting the update on my touch panel from the vendor,
but until then I am forced to operate the video switcher from our media closet.

In reviewing the documentation I see the send_String and send_command options

we have 2 16x16 Extron matrix switches ... 1 on each floor controlled by the same NI-3100

SEND_STRING 0:11:0,"'0*1*2%',$0D,$0A"

Any ideas why the above command is not working when I telnet into the Ni-3100 and enter the command string

Thanks again for all the help
Craig

(***********************************************************)
(* DEVICE NUMBER DEFINITIONS GO BELOW *)
(***********************************************************)
DEFINE_DEVICE
(*
*)
(*- Ethernet Devices -*)
(*
*)

dv1video_Switch = 0:11:0 // Extron SMX 400

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    The device ID indicates that the device is being controlled via IP. I don't think you can use the diagnostic tools to send a string to an IP port. Also be careful to send a string and not a command.

However, if you know the IP address and port number of the Switcher, you can just telnet into it from a computer and send the command.
  • Options
    champchamp Posts: 261
    From memory the protocol for Extron switchers is <output>*<input><type><CR> so your command has too many arguments.
    Try
    SEND_STRING 0:11:0, "'1*2%',$0d,$0a"

this should switch video input to to output 1.
    If you are trying to send multiple commands in one string it's more like
    SEND_STRING 0:11:0, "'0*2%1*2%',$0d,$0a"

lastly check you have an open ip connection to the extron by watching the online data_event of the device
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Three parameters is correct for this series as it wants the PLANE address, the extra (first) calls the plane (blade, card, level). No return or line feed is required under the SIS protocol, the & (RGBHV), % (Video), $ (Audio), or ! (All) end the command.

http://media.extron.com/download/files/userman/68-1452-01_B_SMX_Series_UG_.pdf
  • Options
    champchamp Posts: 261
    I stand corrected. Wow that is a big protocol manual!
    I noticed login information in the manual, maybe you need to log in first.

I'd suggest using NS2 control device to send strings and do a SEND_STRING 0, DATA.TEXT on the STRING_EVENT of dv1video_Switch so you can view the response.
  • Options
    craigcraig Posts: 14
    ericmedley wrote: »
    The device ID indicates that the device is being controlled via IP. I don't think you can use the diagnostic tools to send a string to an IP port. Also be careful to send a string and not a command.

However, if you know the IP address and port number of the Switcher, you can just telnet into it from a computer and send the command.

Telnetting into the switcher sounds easier ... we are able to bypass the NI-3100 and telnet into the switcher from a computer and send the command without any problem. Our challenge is changing the channel of the cable box. The channels( tuner) on the cableboxes are controlled via the IRs on the AMX Ni-3100 and without the touch panel were are forced to physically be infront of the cable box to tune into the various channels

-Craig
  • Options
    champ wrote: »
    I stand corrected. Wow that is a big protocol manual!
    I noticed login information in the manual, maybe you need to log in first.

I'd suggest using NS2 control device to send strings and do a SEND_STRING 0, DATA.TEXT on the STRING_EVENT of dv1video_Switch so you can view the response.

I do see the ... IP_CLIENT_OPEN(dv1video_Switch [2].PORT,'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx',23,1) info in the Main.axs file ... I guess this opens the the IP connection to the SMX switcher to send the commands via the SEND_STRING from the ni-3100.
    Yes, it appears the connection must be open

thanks again
    craig
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Typing "ip status" in a terminal session to the master will tell you if the IP connection actually opened. The presence of that command only real tells you it attempted, not that it succeeded.
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Typing "ip status" in a terminal session to the master will tell you if the IP connection actually opened. The presence of that command only real tells you it attempted, not that it succeeded.

Thanks Dave

I've copied the response from the NI-3100 below and it shows that I am connected to both Extron SMX switchers, but I still get nothing in the SMX switcher when I enter the command in the AMX NI-3100 ...

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am sending the send string command via a telnet session in the AMX NI-3100 .....

SEND_STRING 0:11:0,"'0*1*2%',$0D,$0A" or SEND_STRING 0:11:0,"'0*1*2%'"

I am in verbose mode in the smx switcher and I do not see the command response in the switcher

Welcome to NetLinx v3.60.453 Copyright AMX LLC 2010
    >ip status
    IP Status
    NetLinx IP Connections
    TCP Client connected on IP Port 23 LocalPort=10 IP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (socket=29)
    TCP Client connected on IP Port 23 LocalPort=11 IP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (socket=30)
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Well, we know the connection is OK at least. I don't think, however, that you can use send_string directly from Telnet like that. I know it doesn't work from the diagnostics window. You could add a handler to the device itself like this
    DEFINE_EVENT[0:11:0]
    {
        COMMAND : 
        {
            IF(FIND_STRING(DATA.TEXT, "'CMD='",1))
            {
                    REMOVE_STRING(DATA.TEXT, "'CMD=', 1) ;
                    SEND_STRING 0:11:0, "DATA.TEXT" ;
            }
        }
    }

That will make a passthrough for you, and you can type your command i the telnet connection as send_command 0:11:0, "'CMD=<your string here>'" and the code will send it along.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    I don't think, however, that you can use send_string directly from Telnet like that.
    It works fine from the NI telnet / SSH CLI, ditto with send_command (at least on current versions of firmware). You can also use `send s` and send c` as short hand too. Best bit is device names will also work so you can telnet in and do this: `send s dvFoo, "'Bar,$0D,$0A"`.
  • Options
    Well, we know the connection is OK at least. I don't think, however, that you can use send_string directly from Telnet like that. I know it doesn't work from the diagnostics window. You could add a handler to the device itself like this

That will make a passthrough for you, and you can type your command i the telnet connection as send_command 0:11:0, "'CMD=<your string here>'" and the code will send it along.

Dave ... thanks so much for the note of confirmation as I have had no success either - with the send_string command from the AMX NI-3100 telnet command line in talking to the Extron SMX switcher.

Your solution looks great, but as I indicated earlier I am new at this and just not the point of grasping the concept you speak of by adding a handler to the device itself ... I am also a good follower of instruction if they are available

Thanks again for everyones help
    Craig