Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

'Solarized' colour scheme

So I've recently fallen in love with the 'Solarized' colour palette. I've switched my eclipse preferences over to it and though I'd port it across to NetLinx Studio as well. Here it is. There's a bit more tweaking to do but the basis is there. If you want to make any changes / improvements go ahead. If you can spot a way in which to increase it's level of awesomeness by all means fork it and shoot me a pull request with the changes made. Ditto if anyone feels like implementing the dark variant.

Comments

• the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Awesome. I have been using this in VIM for a long time, but never had time to port it to NS3.

Thank you.
  • ppdkppdk Posts: 31
    Excellent work Kim!

Both color schemes look fantastic (trying to port the dark one as we speak).

Kostas
  • I did a quick pass converting the light solarized scheme Kim posted into the dark solarized scheme.

-Ryan
  • Here's a version of the dark scheme with the general prefs and telnet window prefs set as well
  • And here's a version with the highlight colors rearranged to match my normal preferences and the italics removed from variables and devices
  • And finally, here's the light version of the last one

EDIT: Thanks for posting this Kim, I'm already liking this scheme
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Wicked. Nice one.

Just had a quick look at it, did you want to edit the epx file and remove all the settings that don't relate to the colour preferences (fonts, indentation etc) then submit the pull request on GitHub? If you're not comfortable using git feel free to hit me up for a quick rundown, otherwise I can just commit it and then add you to the credits.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I loaded both the light (nearly blinded me!) and dark after seeing the screenshots. And even loading it up on my computer it looked really good. But after using it for just a few minutes, I realized it wasn't high-contrast enough. It looks great, but with my vision worsening rather rapidly, I couldn't stick with it.

Nice work though to the both of you - it's definitely worth trying out.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    jjames wrote: »
    I loaded both the light (nearly blinded me!) and dark after seeing the screenshots. And even loading it up on my computer it looked really good. But after using it for just a few minutes, I realized it wasn't high-contrast enough. It looks great, but with my vision worsening rather rapidly, I couldn't stick with it.

Nice work though to the both of you - it's definitely worth trying out.

Thanks for the file. I couldn't make out the comments very well with those colors. I think I need higher contrast as well. Plus I'm so used to the proggy fonts that everything is kinda weird now, (except Monaco on a Mac). I can't deal with much other than a white background or else I end up squinting for some reason.
    Paul
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I tried it out too, and made my own dark version, but have to re-iterate the feeling that it's not high-contrast enough. I couldn't tell at-a-glance what some of the colors were. It might come with use, but, you know, old dogs and all that :)
  • Here's the original dark scheme, and the light and dark alternates with all the non-color related settings removed. I also edited them a bit. I changed the cursor color so it stands out more, and set the selected text colors to be inverted from unselected text to improve visibility of what's selected.

I still haven't been able to figure out how to submit a pull request to github, but I'll try some more after I get back from this service call.

-Ryan
  • Ryan,
    Thanks! I like the changes in your alternate dark. Higher contrast - especially for the selected text.
  • rfletcher wrote: »
    I still haven't been able to figure out how to submit a pull request to github, but I'll try some more after I get back from this service call.

I figured it out, and submitted a pull request
    Done and merged. I've simplified it down to just a single dark and light theme and also changed the selected text colour on the light theme to Solarized base 2 to match in with the theme spec a little tighter (I also dig the lower contrast).

Thanks for the wicked work on your themes.
    Might I suggest a few screen shots of it in Studio so people know what they're getting into prior to trying it out.
    jjames wrote: »
    Might I suggest a few screen shots of it in Studio so people know what they're getting into prior to trying it out.

Done and updated.
  • Dumb (?) question - why would NLS not use the colors after I've imported them? Is there something special you have to do to us imported preferences?
    What version of NS are you using?
  • 3.3.1.525 - the latest
    That might be the issue. I updated a while back to the latest, and then QUICKLY downgraded because how horrible it was. I do recall the import settings were "fixed" (or changed), so I'd bet that has something to do with it. I wouldn't be surprised if they broke that as well.
  • Gotcha. Now to find an older version...
  • Great!!!!!

Downloaded both files to try out... I must say the darker contrast made it easier on me eyes... Great Job!!!