Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

MVPs, beautiful but...

I love the way the MVPs look, there are truly a work of art, except for one thing, the cheap plasticy shell.

Why not use a metallic material? Its not like these are bargain basement units.
________
BMW N62

Comments

• Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    An MVP isnt really a lightweight. And making the outer thing metallic instead of plastic :s i think it would way weigh a ton.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The problem isn't that it's palstic - the old Viewpoints were plastic and have the durability of a tank (and clean up real nice too). They could completely redeem the very sub-par Modero Viewpoint cases by simply doing two things: (1) use a color that is molded into the plastic, not a veneer; (2) use a harder plastic. Just number one would go a very long way. These very nice panels look very bad after only short periods of use as the silver wears off and exposes the white plastic beneath.
  • Options
    RWozneyRWozney Posts: 19
    Yah, what he said.

I have had a number of customers take note of the poorly aging finish on the MVPs. This is not an isolated problem although the problem has been much worse on a few MVPs that were shipped maybe 7 months ago and were replaced by AMX promptly. This is definitely something that needs to be addressed.

RW
  • Options
    flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    Does this problem still exist with the MVPs?
  • Options
    flcusat wrote:
    Does this problem still exist with the MVPs?
    Yes. AMX offers replacement cases for excessive wear; I have gotten quite few of them at no charge. No idea of their intended long-term fix, but a new case seems to be the interim solution.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    DHawthorne wrote:
    Yes. AMX offers replacement cases for excessive wear; I have gotten quite few of them at no charge. No idea of their intended long-term fix, but a new case seems to be the interim solution.

oh? i didnt know that... item number available?
  • Options
    yuri wrote:
    oh? i didnt know that... item number available?

MA5965-84K Mech Assembly

I keep a few around for spares; for a while my boss was ordering one with every new panel just so we could keep customer units "clean." They don't come with a new nav button cluster though, and those wear out the fastest :(.
  • Options
    flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    By the way what use do you give to the four button on the left of the MVP-8400? I'm assuming that the can't be engrave.
  • Options
    AvophileAvophile Posts: 70
    I typically do:

volume up
    audio functions (pop-up an AVR function page)
    mute
    volume down

Rather inelegant but it puts a related cluster of the three most commonly used buttons (and a throw-away) right where the channel surfer wants it.

Each button pops up a small indicator saying what it is doing.