Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Netlinx master firmware questions

Hi,

It's been a while since I did any Netlinx programming, and I'm in the process of refreshing my knowledge of all things Netlinx. The first thing I want to do is upgrade my NI-3000 with the latest master firmware, but I have a couple of questions:

- Even though I am not planning to do anything with Duet just yet, would you still recommend that I install the "Duet Master Firmware" rather than non-Duet?

The only downloadable controller firmware for NI-3000 states that it "...requires master firmware 3.60.447 or later...", which implies that I need "Duet Master Firmware" (currently v3.60.453). The current non-Duet firmware for this master is v2.32.148...for which there appears to be no downloadable controller firmware.

Any advice gratefully received!

Tom

Comments

• Options
    ppdkppdk Posts: 31
    Hi Tom,
    tomfuke wrote: »
    - Even though I am not planning to do anything with Duet just yet, would you still recommend that I install the "Duet Master Firmware" rather than non-Duet?
    I have some NI-3000 in an old (since 2005) installation. I recently upgraded them from the "old" non Duet firmware to the latest Duet firmware. Although they did run low on memory (due to the requirements of the bigger firmware) they never stopped working.

I also do not use any Duet / non Duet modules in the source code. I performed the update for the reasons of stability, bug fix and new features.

Good luck with your "refresh" of the Netlinx Language ;)

Kostas
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply Kostas!

Tom
    ppdk wrote: »
    Hi Tom,

I have some NI-3000 in an old (since 2005) installation. I recently upgraded them from the "old" non Duet firmware to the latest Duet firmware. Although they did run low on memory (due to the requirements of the bigger firmware) they never stopped working.

I also do not use any Duet / non Duet modules in the source code. I performed the update for the reasons of stability, bug fix and new features.

Good luck with your "refresh" of the Netlinx Language ;)

Kostas
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    The newer firmware is better in many ways outside of the DUET matter. Massive changes have been done to the IP communications to stabilize WIFI panels, so you WANT the newer firmware.

You can reduce the memory impact of the newer firmware if you aren't using DUET for anything. Connect by TELNET and type the command

set duet mem
    It will reply that it is currently set to the default, 8megabytes.
    At the prompts, type 3 to set it to the minimum, 3 megabytes.
    Press ENTER... it will confirm... you need to reboot to get back your 5 meg.

Note that this makes the NetLinx WEB SERVER quite slow... it uses duet!
  • Options
    annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    John Nagy wrote: »

If is for this reason that I always bump up the Duet allocation to at least 12Mb. I know others have memory-hungry programs which this becomes an issue on, but I've never got close to using all my 32Mb on NI-3000 masters. It can be frustrating when the web server doesn't serve up the security pages due to a minimal allocation of Duet memory.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
  • Options
    Thanks John!
    John Nagy wrote: »
    The newer firmware is better in many ways outside of the DUET matter. Massive changes have been done to the IP communications to stabilize WIFI panels, so you WANT the newer firmware.

You can reduce the memory impact of the newer firmware if you aren't using DUET for anything. Connect by TELNET and type the command

set duet mem
    It will reply that it is currently set to the default, 8megabytes.
    At the prompts, type 3 to set it to the minimum, 3 megabytes.
    Press ENTER... it will confirm... you need to reboot to get back your 5 meg.

• Options
    Thanks Roger!

I appreciate all of you making these comments/suggestions. Good stuff...

Tom
    annuello wrote: »
    If is for this reason that I always bump up the Duet allocation to at least 12Mb. I know others have memory-hungry programs which this becomes an issue on, but I've never got close to using all my 32Mb on NI-3000 masters. It can be frustrating when the web server doesn't serve up the security pages due to a minimal allocation of Duet memory.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University