Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Novara SP-08-AX without firmware?

Hello,

I am in the process of adding a Novara SP-08-AX to a project. When it goes online I see it's address in the device tree but it does not have any firmware version associated with it. It does not send a command when a button is pushed nor will accept a firmware upgrade. Has anybody seen this isssue before?

Comments

• Options
    annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    When the SP-08-AX first came out it had a few firmware issues. The v1.00/1.01 firmware could become corrupt during a brown-out situation, requiring the keypad to go back to AMX. I think v1.02 addressed the brown-out issue, but v1.03 also addressed some AXlink issues. We've found v1.03 to be quite stable. Any chance your keypad has been sitting on a shelf for a year or so? If so, it may have older firmware.

A few tips when applying firmware updates to these keypads:
    1) The AXlink bus seems to be easily corrupted by keypads with older firmware versions. It is advisable to apply the firmware update with device reboot enabled, then do a complete master reboot afterwards.
    2) Systems with multiple keypads with fw < v1.03 are very haphazard with the firmware update process. The presence of multiple <v1.03 keypads seems to corrupt the AXlink bus comms. Physically disconnect all keypads and update the keypad firmware one at a time, with auto device reboot AND manual master reboots in between each update.

These issues were pretty consistent. We had 10 rooms with up to 6 keypads, and another 80 or so with just a single keypad. After a number of returned units (presumably from brown-outs) we managed to get them up to v1.03 and have had no issues since. If the above tips don't help and your keypad is still under warranty, I'd be sending it back for repair/exchange.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
  • Options
    Novara SP-08-AX without firmware

Thanks for the quick response. Tonight I''ll work with the keypad to attempt to get the firmware upgraded once more. If it fails I will get an RA from tech support.

John
    annuello wrote: »
    When the SP-08-AX first came out it had a few firmware issues. The v1.00/1.01 firmware could become corrupt during a brown-out situation, requiring the keypad to go back to AMX. I think v1.02 addressed the brown-out issue, but v1.03 also addressed some AXlink issues. We've found v1.03 to be quite stable. Any chance your keypad has been sitting on a shelf for a year or so? If so, it may have older firmware.

A few tips when applying firmware updates to these keypads:
    1) The AXlink bus seems to be easily corrupted by keypads with older firmware versions. It is advisable to apply the firmware update with device reboot enabled, then do a complete master reboot afterwards.
    2) Systems with multiple keypads with fw < v1.03 are very haphazard with the firmware update process. The presence of multiple <v1.03 keypads seems to corrupt the AXlink bus comms. Physically disconnect all keypads and update the keypad firmware one at a time, with auto device reboot AND manual master reboots in between each update.

These issues were pretty consistent. We had 10 rooms with up to 6 keypads, and another 80 or so with just a single keypad. After a number of returned units (presumably from brown-outs) we managed to get them up to v1.03 and have had no issues since. If the above tips don't help and your keypad is still under warranty, I'd be sending it back for repair/exchange.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University