Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware Inspired Signage - Digital Signage

cisco layer 3 switches

are there any known issues with connecting multiple SPX-1000s in a campus with different logical subnets, and different physical switches? Each building has a Cisco catalyst 3750.

Comments

  • locknarlocknar Junior Member Posts: 30
    update to my own thread. The spx-1000s do work but I have a lot of trouble finding the box. Static Ip works but the IMS dept does not want to block off Ip addresses. So the next question is, does anyone have a working "sniffer" or listening tool to find the Spx-1000s. The Inspired xpress software does not work
  • Dave_UKDave_UK Junior Member Posts: 54
    XPress is relying on mDNS (Bonjour) for the zeroconfig to work.

    Instead of static IP's you could request DHCP reservations for each of your IS-SPX-1000 MAC addresses and that will assign the same IP which you can then use in Xpress with a manual entry.
  • kennethkkennethk Junior Member Posts: 86
    locknar wrote: »
    So the next question is, does anyone have a working "sniffer" or listening tool to find the Spx-1000s. The Inspired xpress software does not work

    Dont have my laptop on hand, but try google "Soft perfect" and look for a program "with a soccer ball/football" as an icon!

    Love this ip scanner tool.

    Runs from a Usb key as well if you need to use it on different computers!

    Merry christmas ALL!!




    Kenneth K
  • PhreaKPhreaK Senior Member Posts: 966
    +1 on the Soft Perfect Network Scanner. Download here.
  • kennethkkennethk Junior Member Posts: 86
    Locknar

    I've started this year with a similar problem.
    Im gonna check with technology group (if you not already did?).

    A campus with same layout (dont know the switcher brand though), and IT manager are guessing its bevause Spx1000 and the software talks at layer-2 (i need to read up on networking)? That results in it only scans on 1 subnet(the one your program/computer runs on)?

    I thought it wasn't a real limit in max numbers of players...?

    Anyway...
    I needed to find all the ip adresses (on different subnets), and found out that NETLINX STUDIO was perfect!! :)
    Use the Zero Config and scan.
    You get IP adresses and Hostnames.
    This is the same as Bonjour (i think)!

    Did you get any sollution to your initial problems?
    Or worse, more problems?
    In my case, im going back next week, to finish the project.

    Ps! On this project, i was aware of it, but earlier i got "suprised" of the fact that theese players can't be setup on a "domain" (and of course this was what was needed).



    Kenneth K
  • locknarlocknar Junior Member Posts: 30
    thanks everyone. I ended up doing it the slow way. I took my laptop, disabled the LAN, changed the mac address to the SPX's mac, enabled and waited to see what IP address I got. Then disabled and connected the SPX with the same MAC to then get that leased IP.

    I have downloaded the softperfect and will give that a try too.
  • viningvining X Member Posts: 4,368
    locknar wrote: »
    thanks everyone. I ended up doing it the slow way. I took my laptop, disabled the LAN, changed the mac address to the SPX's mac, enabled and waited to see what IP address I got. Then disabled and connected the SPX with the same MAC to then get that leased IP.

    I have downloaded the softperfect and will give that a try too.
    It's a bad idea to set up any device with a static IP with out reserving those addresses in the DHCP server which may or may not be your router. Eventually it will bite you in the a$$ and an IP conflict can be difficult to troubleshoot since it's often the last thing that comes to mind after banging your head against a wall for hours.

    It was suggested earlier (at least I think it's this thread) that if the IT guys don't want to give up a block of IP addresses for you to use then have them bind the mac addresses of your devices to specific IPs in thier DHCP server so when your devices which you set up as DHCP request an IP address from the DHCP server (probably router) then the server will give them the pre-determined address not just the next available address.
  • locknarlocknar Junior Member Posts: 30
    vining wrote: »
    It's a bad idea to set up any device with a static IP with out reserving those addresses in the DHCP server which may or may not be your router. Eventually it will bite you in the a$$ and an IP conflict can be difficult to troubleshoot since it's often the last thing that comes to mind after banging your head against a wall for hours.

    It was suggested earlier (at least I think it's this thread) that if the IT guys don't want to give up a block of IP addresses for you to use then have them bind the mac addresses of your devices to specific IPs in thier DHCP server so when your devices which you set up as DHCP request an IP address from the DHCP server (probably router) then the server will give them the pre-determined address not just the next available address.

    Agreed. There were two things happening here, I was in the "proof of concept" phase and just needed to find the SPXs to prove that we could communicate between buildings. I have subsequently asked IT for DHCP reservations, but due to the Christmas break they have not got back to me. I have removed the SPXs that were used for testing and now having proved it will work and waiting for permissions, paperwork etc.
    As stated earlier thanks to everyone for their input.
Sign In or Register to comment.