Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

NI-700 Device Firmware upgrade issue.

Hi all,
I think the answer to this will be.... send it back to AMX, however I am on a customer's site and it'd be nice if I could find a fix.

I have 4x NI-700 (32mb) processors on this particular site. Each had the following firmware:
Master Firmware: 2.96.218
Device Firmware: 1.01.124

I have set about upgrading the firmware on these units to the latest version. Each unit took the master firmware (3.60.453) as expected with the required extra reboot however only two units accepted the device firmware (1.30.8).

The two which didn't accept the device firmware gave the following statement on the upgrade screen:
Transfer Complete, waiting for the device to finish the upgrade (or words to that effect) and never completed. After about 15 mins I restarted the processors and found I was still stuck at 1.01.124.

I have tried numerous times to get these up to date, including rolling back the master firmware and trying to step up the device firmware but they are stuck at 1.01.124.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with a stubborn processor or is it a post it back jobby??

Thanks in advance for the help!

Colin

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Try again tomorrow. Seriously. Leave the master plugged in and try tomorrow.
  • Options
    Now that is something I haven't tried! It sounds like one of those 'put your hard drive into the freezer' style solutions!

If it works I will let you know!
  • Options
    champchamp Posts: 261
    Definitely put your hard drive in the freezer as well :)
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I had a similar problem with an NI-4000 on Christmas Eve day. I tried everthing and the dev firmware just wouldn't take. I finally got it but I don't recall why or how. Try clean disk, reduce duet memory to 3M, load a minimal dummy program and give that a shot.

If I recall I rolled back the master a time or two, maybe four or five times and loaded the dev which then doesn't show up until the lastest master firmware is loaded. Finally some combination of steps worked and I then loaded the current system program which wouldn't run. Not enough memory left. I had no duet mods and with duet memory set to 8m (the max on this beast) the program wouldn't fully boot up and if I set duet memory to 3m (lowest) the program would boot but the program wouldn't run properly. Hours spent getting the dev to load and in the end it was pointless and I then couldn't find a complete not duet firmware set to roll back to. Oh happy day!
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    champ wrote: »
    Definitely put your hard drive in the freezer as well :)

I've rescued many a hard drive this way. On a related note, I've also salvaged quite a few reels of old analog recording tape by baking it in the oven.
  • Options
    NI-700 Device Firmware upgrade issue.

I know this sounds silly, but when loading the device firmware, are you using device 5001? I've caught myself a couple of times where it won't take...
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    tom goez wrote: »
    I know this sounds silly, but when loading the device firmware, are you using device 5001? I've caught myself a couple of times where it won't take...
    While that could be an issue I think it's that combination of master/dev firmware on the older NI's that is just a PITA to install. If you install the dev firmware on any older master firmware the dev (5001) doesn't even show up in the online tree anymore and it won't until the latest master firmware is loaded.
  • Options
    The device numbers are definately correct and after a long soak overnight it still wouldn't take the device firmware. I think these units will be taking a short vacation to AMX land for some R 'n' R!
  • Options
    banobano Posts: 173
    The device numbers are definately correct and after a long soak overnight it still wouldn't take the device firmware. I think these units will be taking a short vacation to AMX land for some R 'n' R!

If you haven't yet, disconnect the power for a few seconds after device reboots from device firmware upgrade.
  • Options
    svTechsvTech Posts: 44
    Assuming you have the program to reload, try a factory reset to defaults and then update the firmware before reloading the program and resetting all parameters. Remember that you'll lose your network settings when you do the factory reset, so be sure that you can talk to the processor via RS232 (or have DHCP or another way to communicate) before you try the factory reset.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I have tried the factory reset and pretty much every other trick in the book! I've tried firmware roll back and even incremental upgrades but these badgers are stuck fast. I'll make sure I post the resolution from AMX when they return.