Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Save Files to m2m

I can write file out and store to my local master but how can I write files to another master. Better yet a server? Can we authenticate active directory authentication? IF so how?

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    You could FTP from M2M or covert your file to a string (var_to_string) and send it to a virtual on the other master and do a string_to_var, then write it locally.

To a 3rd party server I guess there's just FTP.

active directory authentication, no clue.
  • Options
    cfloydcfloyd Posts: 6
    vining wrote: »
    You could FTP from M2M or covert your file to a string (var_to_string) and send it to a virtual on the other master and do a string_to_var, then write it locally.

To a 3rd party server I guess there's just FTP.

active directory authentication, no clue.

What would the path be to ftp to the other master? That's all I need...
  • Options
    I haven't done this in a long time and from what I could gather trying to figure out my old code is that the FTP connection puts you into the users directory so you just use the file name, you can go up a level and get into the root level if you dare. You should be able to find AMX's FTP module somwhere.
  • Options
    vining wrote: »
    ...the FTP connection puts you into the users directory so you just use the file name, you can go up a level and get into the root level if you dare. ...
    Actually, even if you're logged in as administrator, you can't go up to root even if you wanted to dare! :)
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    cfloyd wrote: »
    What would the path be to ftp to the other master? That's all I need...

This would be as simple as setting up a VPN on the remote network and then just uploading the file with any garden variety FTP client or windows browser. You could also open up a port on the firewall of the rouer to allow for access to the remote master on port 21. I would NOT do this however as it would be a huge security risk. FTP is an easy protocol to 'brute force' your way in. Given enough time a simple bot program can guess the password.

The method being described by Vinning is nice since it's essentially sending the raw data of the file from one maser to another and reconstructing the file at the other end. To the outside world it's just silly data being transfered from one device to another on a silly port. You could even come up with your own encryption method to further protect the file if you were so inclined.
  • Options
    Actually, even if you're logged in as administrator, you can't go up to root even if you wanted to dare! :)
    You can but I don't recall what's required. Maybe just through code on the local host but I was transferring the PROG.tkn file (I think) one day from one master to another or to a PC running a FileZilla server and then back, just for the sake of doing it and I was in ascii not binary mode. Killed it. I was also running code on my office master that allows me to view the root directory. It's commented out now but I could see everything in the root directory on my TPs.