Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Full Java Browser/VNC client fot Ipad/Android

So, we installed this NXV-300 expecting that the customer would want to get to it through a typical windows browser -- and in that case it appears to work fine. But, the customer had several different tablet thingies that he tried to get to work and they wouldn't. Is there an Android browser that will work correctly with the NXV-300 box? Apparently there's some sort of problem with the Java on some browsers that are ported to those things. How about Safari on an Ipad? Will those work together?

And if not and a VNC client is necessary, are there any that work well with the various tablets/ipads?

Comments

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    There are too many browser alternatives to know them all on Android, but Dolphin has been pretty complete for me. Slow starting however. You just need to try. The web service in the 300 is not compatible with many, if not most, and possible iPad and iPhone browsers... and MAC too. Again, you can keep trying. Otherwise, it's VNC for you. Which is fine, but lack of any sound feedback is a downer.

Best VNC for iThings and AMX is clearly iTeleport.
    http://www.iteleportmobile.com/

There is a specific AMX profile in the "Computer Type" setup.
    They worked together with AMX and us to tune this. Be sure to read the doc, there are really nice login automation features, cloud login, and full-screen options.

For Android, I haven't found one I like yet. I use "AndroidVNC" (free) which works well but not in high color (it won't connect at 24 bit color, AMX panels have 18 bit, so 256 color is the next one down in their menu, and it looks less than great). There are dozens of options, some have a cost, which slows my testing a lot.

If you find better answers, share!
  • Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    Thanks very much, John. Guess I'll have to part with some $$ and try out the iTeleport thing.

One of the options the customer tried the other day was Dolphin and he couldn't get the NXV-300 to serve the pages properly. I wasn't watching him when he did it, my boss was, so I'm not sure what sort of tablet it was that he was testing with or what results he obtained.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I've burned through most of the free Android VNC clients since last post (there went the evening).

As mentioned, "Android-vnc-viewer" works but only in low color. Too bad because it actually worked better than any other. The image held properly in place, it was fast. Just too crunchy in colors.

PocketCloud looks great but the image wants to slide around the screen while you work.

Valance, LabTech, RemoteVNC and MOCHA won't show the page at all, can't cope with AMX color depth.

I'm about ready to pay the $9.99 for RealVNC. They even specifically mention AMX panels in their write up, so I bet it will be OK. But I hate spending first and finding out second.

By the way, get FING for network scans and more. It totally rocks to examine a network, find what's where in IP, jump right to TELNET or WEB by tapping a discovered IP, I am really impressed. For ANDROID. Free.
  • Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    Thanks again -- this is very helpful.

Harold
  • Options
    jimmywjimmyw Posts: 112
    Remember, the android market has a 24 hour return policy, if you find it doesn't work, return it.