Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

NXR-ZGW won't allow me to "Allow Joining"

I picked up a NXR-ZGW and R3 to play around with at my home. I believe I've followed the directions correctly for setting up the gateway, but for some reason, I can't select the "Allow Joining" button. Clicking it just refreshes the page. I can see the PAN ID from my R3, so I know it's broadcasting, but I can't seem to join the PAN. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Are they both in same version of firmware ?
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Have you enabled commissioning using the web interface to the gateway? You must tell the gate you allow commissioning before you do the site survey, then it will let you join. Sort of like Bluetooth, both sides have to be ready at the same time. Thereafter, the gatway will remember the unit and will not need commissioning again. Well, not normally anyway.

The R3 is not a great choice. All the headache of zigbee and no more power than an R1 or R2. The R4 at least makes the zigbee worth the effort.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. It's possible the firmware revisions are different. I'll check. Should I be able to see the R3 on the commissioning page before I select "allow joining"?

I *am* trying to commission the device, but the web interface for the gateway does nothing when I select "allow joining.

I chose the R3 because I like the form factor, and I already have a 418 and a 433 R2. I didn't like the fact that I'd have to go to the touchpanel for transport controls on the R4.
  • Options
    Looks like the R3 is on FW revision 1.16. Time to upgrade. Still doesn't explain why I can't start the joining process on the gateway, though, does it? Or do you have to start it on the remote before you do the gateway?
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    There is no real indication when you click "allow joining" that it is actually allowing it. When the page refreshes, that's your cue. Very quickly after clicking it, as it times out, do a PAN scan on the R3. The gateway's PAN should show up with an indication that joining is allowed. Press the button and whatever confirmation, and you're in. But don't look for anything on the gateway side, you won't see it.
  • Options
    Ah - so things are working correctly on the gateway end. The directions kind of implied there would be some sort of indication that there was a change in state.

I'll update the R3 firmware when I get home tonight and see if that solves the issue. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    Hmm - I'm trying to update the firmware on this remote (fw ver. 1.16) through NLS. I'm following the directions in the R3 manual. As I'm loading the Zigbee update, though, nothing appears to be happening. If I exit setup mode, though, it shows that only 133B have been transferred. Is there some secret to updating this that I've missed?
  • Options
    Hmm. It appears to take the 1.17 firmware fine. Won't let anything else get loaded to it. Any suggestions?

EDIT - for some reason, it decided to take the 3.0 firmware. No luck with the 3.01.05 zigbee update, though.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Double check the firmware release notes ... some of them are incremental, and you have to load an intermediate version before the most recent, depending how old your original is. Make sure you get all of them too, as I recall there is a separate firmware for the remote itself, and one for the Zigbee portion, as well as your gateway. Last time I had to do a big firmware jump, I sat down with the the whole procedure printed out in front of me to make sure I didn't screw anything up ... a lot of them were order-dependent, but the procedure was well-documented.
  • Options
    Yeah - at least the newest firmware doesn't mention any incremental updates - just to make sure you're at 3.0, and you do the 3.+ Zigbee firmware first.

I managed to get the 3.0 firmware on, but now the display just says "ZDNLD", which doesn't sound promising.