Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Files marked as modified

Hello All,

Has anyone else experienced the situation where NetLinx Studio marks a file as modified when it is opened (both manually or automatically when NS loads the previously loaded workspace) without editing the file at all. I was thinking it was something associated with tab settings and other Preferences...I use VisualStudio for most of my work and it will automatically convert tabs to spaces etc when files are opened, so I was thinking maybe something similar is going on and NS sees the file as having been modified. But it happens every time files are opened.

I'm worried that as I mechanically say save or don't save upon closing NS I will either save changes I didn't intend or not save ones I did!

I must be completely missing something here. Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Ryan

Comments

• Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    ryanamx wrote: »
    Hello All,

Has anyone else experienced the situation where NetLinx Studio marks a file as modified when it is opened (both manually or automatically when NS loads the previously loaded workspace) without editing the file at all. I was thinking it was something associated with tab settings and other Preferences...I use VisualStudio for most of my work and it will automatically convert tabs to spaces etc when files are opened, so I was thinking maybe something similar is going on and NS sees the file as having been modified. But it happens every time files are opened.

I'm worried that as I mechanically say save or don't save upon closing NS I will either save changes I didn't intend or not save ones I did!

I must be completely missing something here. Any ideas?

Kind regards,
    Ryan

Not typically, and the CVS system would indicate if a file was modified so I would notice. I don't believe there is a setting to convert tabs to spaces like in most editors, you can only set how many characters the tab uses. You might want to stay away from the 'trim blanks at the end of a line' setting, as this may cause a file to be modified unknowingly. I used this for a while then turned it off when I noticed that I was being prompted to save when I hadn't changed anything. There may be other things NS does that can modify a file, but it shouldn't be too difficult to track down the culprit. WinMerge can be helpful in those situations.
    Paul
  • Options
    ryanamxryanamx Posts: 2
    Thank you Paul! I'm a little embarrassed, it was the 'trim blanks....' setting. I must have looked at that editor preferences page 50 times and didn't see it right under my nose.

Kind regards,
    Ryan
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    ryanamx wrote: »
    Thank you Paul! I'm a little embarrassed, it was the 'trim blanks....' setting. I must have looked at that editor preferences page 50 times and didn't see it right under my nose.

Kind regards,
    Ryan

They slipped that setting into the newer version of NS recently I think. It sounded like a good thing to have checked off at first, but the side effects aren't worth it.
    Paul
  • Options
    Plus, it only seems to trim when the file is opened and not when saving/editing, so what's the point?

-Nick (on Tapatalk)