Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

'GET BAUD' problem

Hello brothers! I'm newbie here and hope my question do not seem stupid:) Please excuse me for my bad English too.

In the manual "NetLinx CardFrame,Control Cards, and NetModules NXC, NXF, and NXM Series" on the p.10 says: "Command GET BAUD Get the RS-232/port’s current communication parameters." And "Device sends the response out the Master program port."

I tryed to execute
SEND_COMMAND 5001:1:0,'GET BAUD'
in the terminal window but did not get answer.

Why?..

Does anybody know how to get rs-232 settings in the NI-**** modules in other ways?

Thanks
Alex

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Make a DATA_EVENT for the device, and put this in the STRING handler:

SEND_STRING 0, "DATA.TEXT" ;

The data is sent to the master, not the terminal. This redirects it to your terminal as well.
  • Options
    Thank Dave, your advice helped me! Now, I'm sure in settings of comm port.
    A little notice - this command send text to diagnostic window, not to terminal.
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    If you turn on diagnostic Strings for whichever port you want to see the info on you can see the baud rate without having to code anything.
  • Options
    frthomasfrthomas Posts: 176
    I guess "msg on" would allow your terminal to see diagnostic messages.

And I am curious as to why you need to check the baud rate? Most of the time, I just set it whatever I want it to be, and ignore which value it is actually set to... Just curious.

Good luck and have fun with Netlinx

Fred
  • Options
    To alexanbo and Fred.
    Useful info, I did not know it. Thanks.

To Fred.
    I have a trouble with multiroom controller Russound CAV 6.6 which I trying to manage via comm port. I soldered cable as mentioned in the manual, set up port, and sent commands to Russound but did not get answer. RX led does not light also. As I said I'm novice in AMX and I thought the one reason of problem may be speed disparity. Now I exclude it.
  • Options
    alexanbo wrote:
    If you turn on diagnostic Strings for whichever port you want to see the info on you can see the baud rate without having to code anything.
    A simple "msg on" in the terminal window does not do this without code support. I just tried and confirmed that. Is there another level of diagnostics I've missed, or are you talking about the diagnostics window, not terminal?
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    DHawthorne wrote:
    A simple "msg on" in the terminal window does not do this without code support. I just tried and confirmed that. Is there another level of diagnostics I've missed, or are you talking about the diagnostics window, not terminal?
    It?s the Notifications window.

From the Diagnostics menu --> Enable Netlinx Device Notifications

From the Diagnostics menu --> Netlinx Device Notifications Options?
    Make sure ?Strings From Device? is checked in the Netlinx Notifications Properties dialog box for the device in question.

You can send the GET BAUD command from Control a Device..
  • Options
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    It?s the Notifications window.

From the Diagnostics menu --> Enable Netlinx Device Notifications

From the Diagnostics menu --> Netlinx Device Notifications Options?
    Make sure ?Strings From Device? is checked in the Netlinx Notifications Properties dialog box for the device in question.

You can send the GET BAUD command from Control a Device..
    We were talking about different things then. I'm in the habit of using the terminal window and SEND_STRING 0 for diagnostic messages, because then I can control more finely what I see when debugging, and don't have to go through all the nonsense of turning on and off particular notifications. Also, the Notifications window crashes and burns Studio (taking any unsaved work with it) if you have a busy system and too may notifications turned on. The stand-alone DIagnostic tool is better, but not by much. I got so frustrated with them, I only use them for emulation and control, and setting addresses, almost never for notifications.