Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Send String to Remote Master

I feel like I I've already learned the answer to this, but I could've sworn I've sent strings to a remote master's telnet session using "0:0:2" or whatever, but while trying that out today, it clearly doesn't work.

I know it's simple enough to do a regular virtual device and funnel strings from that to "SEND_STRING 0" on the "collection" Master, but that just seems silly when I can just as easily define "dvMaster2 = 0:0:2" and send_strings to that.

Someone tell me why I'm wrong. And does anybody have a better solution?

Comments

• Options
    catalinocatalino Posts: 25
    Do you have a use-case? Why aren't you just SEND_COMMAND-ing it to the master?

If you are sending strings via a TCP/IP port (0:2:0 and above) You have to have a listening process on the target master.

If you can post some of your code up I can take a look at it and offer suggestions.
    -Catalino
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    @catalino, Nick is referring to sending strings to the diagnostics output (what appears under diagnostics in NetLinx Studio, or within a telnet session when you shoot it the 'msg on' command). This is different to IP ports.

I've never tried sending something to a remote masters console but if you can't reference it directly using a virtual as a proxy sounds like a pretty simple functional solution. Wrap it all up in a module / include and forget about it. I'm not sure if it will work with the local console as it's not a 'real' device but you could try using redirect_string() to handle the proxying.
  • Options
    That's kinda what I thought. I was hoping to not have to add another device or more processing to my modules. At least I know I'm not crazy. Thanks PhreaK.

-Nick (on Tapatalk)