Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

22-26 IN DISPLAYS WITH RS232

anyone know of any manufacturer that has a smaller 22-26 in displays that have rs232 ports. I am having a tough time finding anything

Comments

• Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I thought LG made smaller TVs with serial - just going off of memory.
  • Options
    ppdkppdk Posts: 31
    See if you can find something in Sharp. I programmed once a couple of 20" sharp monitors via RS-232.

Just keep in mind that you might need to contact Sharp Technical Support to enable the RS-232 option. I am not
    sure but i think the Integrator who hired us had to switch on the TV set in a special mode in order to boot it in a
    hidden setup menu. And in that menu he changed some Hex values.
  • Options
    sling100sling100 Posts: 123
    Most LG models have RS232 - the protocol is good too, as it will allow you to send 'IR' type commands such as nav up/down etc - ideal if the customer wishes to use internet TV etc.

The other option is a Panasonic Viera and use the 3.5mm service port - it's not advertised as a RS232 port, but it is.

Simon
  • Options
    rfletcherrfletcher Posts: 217
    If you go with LG make sure you get a commercial monitor and not a consumer one. In my experience (admittedly a couple of years ago) the 232 ports on the consumer ones have a bad habit of shutting off if you talk to them too much, and the only way to get them back is to pull power from the monitor.

Sharp has the LC-26SV490U. I have no personal experience with that specific monitor, but I've never had an issue with the larger Sharp consumer displays that have 232 ports.

-Ryan
  • Options
    pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    ppdk wrote: »
    See if you can find something in Sharp. I programmed once a couple of 20" sharp monitors via RS-232.

Just keep in mind that you might need to contact Sharp Technical Support to enable the RS-232 option. I am not
    sure but i think the Integrator who hired us had to switch on the TV set in a special mode in order to boot it in a
    hidden setup menu. And in that menu he changed some Hex values.

The RS-232 in the sharp aquos stuff is accessible from the Hotel mode menu, if you need a copy of the doc, get in touch. Infact tweaking some of the hotel mode entries greatly increases the reliability of working with an AMX controller, especially if you are stuck using IR and not RS232.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    The LG consumer TVs have come a long way in the last few years. The protocol seems much more standardized and I have had no trouble with any sets I've worked with recenly.
  • Options
    I have a Maxent 26" that has a RS232 control Port.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    thepainter wrote: »
    I have a Maxent 26" that has a RS232 control Port.
    Have you effectively controlled that Maxent via the RS-232 port?
  • Options
    Yes I have, I have the protocol laying around somewhere. I'll send as an attachment when I locate it.
  • Options
    Found it faster than I thought.